Excel Problem with Hidden Link Dependency

don0401

I apologize if this is a simple question, but it's just got me stumped:

1) I am building a workbook of financial data (Don.xls), and to save time, I've copied a worksheet from a master file (Bar.xls - the sheet is named "model").

2) After I've linked all my data from the "model" worksheet I go through the sheet in Don.xls and I copy-paste special so that I am no longer dependent on the "model" sheet data

3) Then I delete the "model" sheet from the Don.xls workbook all together

4) I thought I would now have a free-standing workbook, just like I entered all the data by hand - with no dependency on any workbooks, etc.

However, when I try to open Don.xls it wants to link to an external sheet which I never even heard of - the error message is below:

http://sharepoint.barcapint.com/Documents/Equities/Financials/BC Data Page_v41.xls Cannot locate the Internet Server or proxy

I'm guessing at some point the sheet I copied inserted this dependency somewhere in my Don.xls workbook file, and now I can't find where it is to delete the dependency - so it's now crashing a macro I run which aggregates all my workbooks and prints out a report.

Any help in finding where this unwanted dependency is hiding so I can remove it would be very much appreciated.

I tried to be as explicit as possible in describing the problem, but if I wasn't clear about something - please ask.

Thanks so much!

-Don

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
If using 2007 or 10 try this:

On ribbon goto DATA
then Edit Link
This should show you any links and option to break link.

Upvote 0
Thanks! Unfortunately I am using Excel 2003, however I think the analogous area in Excel 2003 is: "Edit - Links..." and unfortunately this link is not showing up there. Makes me think it's burried somewhere in code maybe? It's very frustrating. Thanks for your suggestion though - I really appreciate it!

-Don

Upvote 0
Only other thing I can think of (and you probably already checked) is maybe there is a formula that has a reference to the link.

Upvote 0
Thanks again, yes I did checkfor that - with no luck. I saw this in Excel's help section:

The Edit Links dialog box (Edit menu, Links command) does not list the links created in:
  • Web queries containing parameters
  • Defined names that are not used in a formula
To manage these types of links, you must edit them individually.

But of course, there is no explanantion as to how to get to these types of links in order to edit them. Any thoughts on this? Since it is calling for a spreadsheet from a website, I feel this is the sort of link we're dealing with?

Thanks again for all your help.

Upvote 0
Its been awhile since I used 2003.
You might look under DATA and I think there is an IMPORT option that may show the link.

Also this link has info on getting data from Sharepoint using 2003. Not sure if it's any help, but I did see where Sharepoint was in the path of your file.

http://referpages.com/wp/2008/09/datasource/

Upvote 0
That link was definitely helpful. Thanks! Not quite there yet, but getting close I think. I think this is actually a sharepoint issue more than an excel issue, now if I can just figure out how to break the sharepoint link I think I'll be all set. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back