Excel Pop Out cell contents for entire worksheet

QTQ28

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
Hi Friends! I'm not a brainy code person, so I need help here fromt his amazing group of code wizards. I'm working on a spreadsheet where I have the text wrapped, but being that some cells have a lot of text, and I want to keep the cells small for visual appeal, I really want to find a way for the text of the cell to pop out for easy reading which i click on it. Can someone help please?

Add a real simple Macro like this in the VBA section of that workbook:
VBA Code:
Sub Test()
    MsgBox "VBA is enabled!"
    MsgBox Application.EnableEvents
End Sub
And try running it and see if it returns any messages.
If it does, please tell me what the second message returns.
It returns nothing. Nothing happened. What does that mean?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
It returns nothing. Nothing happened. What does that mean?
It means that either macros/VBA are disabled, or you have events turned off.

Can you manually run this VBA code?
VBA Code:
Sub ReEnableEvents()
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    MsgBox "Events turned back on!"
End Sub
If you do, do you get the message box?
If not, you have not enabled Macros/VBA in your workbook. You will need to close it and re-open it, electing to enable Macros/VBA.

If you do get the Message Box, you probably have event turned off (which allows automated VBA code to fire).
That code turns it back on. So if you try again, the original code should work now.

Upvote 0

VBA Code:
Sub ReEnableEvents()
End Sub
If not, you have not enabled Macros/VBA in your workbook. You will need to close it and re-open it, electing to enable Macros/VBA.

If you do get the Message Box, you probably have event turned off (which allows automated VBA code to fire).
That code turns it back on. So if you try again, the original code should work now.
Thank you for your help! When you say "manually run the code", does that mean something other than "copy and paste" the code? When I copy and paste it doesn't do anything. It's like the code is dead on my workbook.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help! When you say "manually run the code", does that mean something other than "copy and paste" the code? When I copy and paste it doesn't do anything. It's like the code is dead on my workbook.

VBA Code:
Sub ReEnableEvents()
End Sub

1727740115854.png

Upvote 0
It means that procedure is NOT automated VBA code (it wouldn't do any good, since your automated VBA does not appear to be working right now!)
Do you know how to run VBA code, from the Macro menu or VB Editor?
If not, see here:

The easiest way to run it is from the Macro menu after copy/pasting the code into the VB Editor.
It is the first way they show in that video link I provided.

Upvote 0
It means that procedure is NOT automated VBA code (it wouldn't do any good, since your automated VBA does not appear to be working right now!)
If not, see here:

The easiest way to run it is from the Macro menu after copy/pasting the code into the VB Editor.

Ok, so I copied my sheet onto a brand new excel book, then added your "re-enable events" code, then ran the macros like the video showed, and I got a pup up window that says "Events turned back on!". I have no idea why events turned off in the old workbook? So now what should I do?

Attachments

• 1727794435882.png
    1727794435882.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
If not, see here:

When I try and add the original pop out code you gave me before, and then save, I get this pop up? What do I select?

1727794928316.png

Upvote 0
That is just telling you you cannot save the file to an Excel extension that does not allow VBA/Macros, like "xlsx".
You have to save to something like "xlsm" or "xlsb", both of which allow VBA.

Upvote 0
That is just telling you you cannot save the file to an Excel extension that does not allow VBA/Macros, like "xlsx".
You have to save to something like "xlsm" or "xlsb", both of which allow VBA.
I bet that's what I did. I bet I saved the last workbook as an xlsx so it wouldn't let me have macros on it. CRAZY. Is there a class I can take to learn all this stuff so I don't keep blowing you up? Or a youtube channel to study from for hours and hours?

Upvote 0
I bet that's what I did. I bet I saved the last workbook as an xlsx so it wouldn't let me have macros on it. CRAZY. Is there a class I can take to learn all this stuff so I don't keep blowing you up? Or a youtube channel to study from for hours and hours?
Take your pick! There are books, videos, on-line tutorials, classes, etc. Whatever best suits your learning style. You can find a ton of information with a simple Google search.
MrExcel also has a bunch of VBA books in their store. See: Products

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam1121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back