Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Yeah, I love it!

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • No...The Ribbon UI SUCKS...

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

Smitty

Legend
Pretty simple question I reckon'. I'm now using my personal laptop for work and it has Office 2007 Ultimate on it, but I find that most board posts still center on 2000-2003 versions (not unexpected).

As a result I've posted some incompatible code (for which I apologize).

I just wanted to see how many people are "actually" using v.2007 vs. testing in their spare time. From what I've seen, it's not a lot, so time permitting, I'll be uninstalling v.2007 and reinstalling v.2003/2007, so I can run them side-by-side.

I'd like to get an idea of what other folks were dealing with out there, as '07 is new to me, but my old company had/has no intention of upgrading. I have a feeling a lot of other people are in the same boat. My new company isn't going to upgrade either...

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
I think we need another option -- ie I run both (and have no preference?)

I run 2007 on one machine and an earlier version on another... I don't mind 2007 NOW though initially I was not keen ... I would agree that a lot of people are still anti-2007 and/or don't have access to it but at the end of the day I'd be very surprised if MS opted to dispense with 2007 UI in future versions... so at some point people will have to bite the bullet on the whole UI debate be it with 2007 or a later version. I suspect a lot of people will never use 2007 but most will end up using a 2007-esque version at some point in the future... it's inevitable I think. The step-change reminds me a little of when .NET came to the fore and the introduction of things like ASP.Net ... those of us running classic .asp sighed and said "no, we'll stay as we are - asp does what we want and we don't understand this new fangled thing" but eventually / inevitably joined the dark side and move to .aspx given at the end of the day it was, put simply, much better... XL2007 may not be better than 2003 on the same scale but I'm pretty sure future 2007-esque versions will be.

The more I use 2007 the better I like it. I don't use it at work (we have no intention of upgrading) altho I will be pushing for xl14 when it's released (for reasons that are covered by the NDA so I can't spill 'em, unfortunately). I still prefer 2003 but 2007 is OK. I'd still rather not have the ribbon but you do start getting used to it.

One more option for you:

Yes, I use it, but only because I had no choice in the matter (work-wide Office upgrade)!

The more I use 2007 the better I like it. I don't use it at work (we have no intention of upgrading) altho I will be pushing for xl14 when it's released (for reasons that are covered by the NDA so I can't spill 'em, unfortunately). I still prefer 2003 but 2007 is OK. I'd still rather not have the ribbon but you do start getting used to it.

Really? I like it. I can put all the commands that I use the most. I think it's great.

The only issue I have with 2007 is that some people our company have it and some don't. Therefore, I always have to keep files in compatible mode.

Yeah but you could do that in 2003 and below with customised toolbars. Like I said, I have started to get used to it, but IMHO it's not an advancement in UI design

I'd like to get an idea of what other folks were dealing with out there, as '07 is new to me, but my old company had/has no intention of upgrading. I have a feeling a lot of other people are in the same boat. My new company isn't going to upgrade either...
Hey Chris, just a suggestion, here's how I would frame this poll.

It's been more than 2 years since Office 2007 was fully released. As you say, it would be interesting to hear from Excel users as to what version(s) they are using at work and at home, and why.

Given that 10 options are available, can we use all 10 like this to cover as many combinations as possible:

Poll: Version 2007 and before: Your usage and preference.

Work: 2007 exclusively; Home: 2007 exclusively
Work: <= 2003 exclusively; Home: <= 2003 exclusively
Work: <= 2003 exclusively; Home: 2007 exclusively; I prefer 2007
Work: <= 2003 exclusively; Home: 2007 exclusively; I prefer <= 2003
Work: 2007 exclusively; Home: <=2003 and 2007; I prefer 2007
Work: 2007 exclusively; Home: <=2003 and 2007; I prefer <= 2003
Work: <=2003 and 2007; Home: 2007 exclusively; I prefer 2007
Work: <=2003 and 2007; Home: 2007 exclusively; I prefer <= 2003
Work <=2003 and 2007; Home <=2003 and 2007; I prefer 2007
Work <=2003 and 2007; Home <=2003 and 2007; I prefer <= 2003

Then any supporting comments from the Poll contributor. As everyone knows, poll results can vary from reality depending on the count of responses. Feel free to post a reply with any background info and comments, good bad or ugly, regarding the poll option you selected.

Couldn't resist the suggestion seeing as this site is so active with Excel users and lurkers, it'd yield a really good insight with the potential pool of poll contributors.

Good points Tom.

I'll see what I can do about changing the Poll, although I think the options are limited.

I asked Joe if he could change the Poll, because I don't have access to it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanle89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back