Excel Jobs?

Kinda an interesting idea... Excel is more of a tool to do a job than a "job" in itself... If you think you can find the customers why not set up a consultancy business for "Excel Business Solutions"... :)

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Kinda an interesting idea... Excel is more of a tool to do a job than a "job" in itself... If you think you can find the customers why not set up a consultancy business for "Excel Business Solutions"... :)

Not a job :eek:, don't tell my boss!!!

It's something that's crossed my mind but I'm just not convinced my general IT skills are up to it let alone my Excel skills as integration with other systems would no dount be a substantial part of a lot of projects that you would have to undertake.

I've also considered training but have yet to think of that niche that needs filling.

It's also having the confidence and the mindset to go for these things as much as the ability to do them.

Dom

It's also having the confidence and the mindset to go for these things as much as the ability to do them.

Words of wisdom, Dom. Some would say this applies to everything in life...
regards, Fazza

I am a Engineer on a Tug Boat not much need for Excel, but I love the program I play with it a lot and still in the learning process .
I have created a few spreadsheets and automated one that our office created for us.
I find it challenging to play with, but sometimes I just want to pull out my hair, but then I found this great web site called MR. EXCEL.COM and it helps a lot especially with formulas.
Once you figure out what you like to do with Excel then kick back and enjoy.

Windows Vista, MS Office 2007 Pro

Well, I am in Share & Stock Broking Financial Services company and my profile defines me as an Excel Analyst. You guys must have heard the name Morgan Stanley - I am an employee of JM Morgan Stanley (JM is an Indian brand collaborated with Morgan Stanley) in India.

I get paid fairly just to be on Excel all day. My Job title does define that I am a part to Excel - neverthless my Job Role or Profile defines that I am 100% Excel. These guys are paying me because I can do things which they are not even aware of that can be done in Excel !

A user who is well versed with Excel VBA is a GOD in Bombay. This is because a very few people have that knowledge of VBA. Even the IT professionals do not have it - the reason being no educational institue or university (private or public) teaches Excel VBA here in Bombay. You need to learn all by yourself !

It comes as a Challenge and yearn to Learn ! I ain't even a graduate but just becoz of this widely recognized tool named MS-Excel - I am earning 10 times more than a graduate in India !

Wish you all a happy time exploring things in Excel :)

A user who is well versed with Excel VBA is a GOD in Bombay.

Hmmm, wouldn't mind living in Mumbai. Would be an interesting experience.

Are there many jobs available there?
Are you expected to hold a degree in computing sciences or commerce?
And if not an Indian national (I'm Irish)?

I've got contacts there; know some people; the current girlfriend speaks some Marathi and Hindi (Used to live there); and I know she would like to go live there.

Just out of curiosity....

Some good comments on here!

Chucking in 2 cents...

Jon, Lewiy and Stormseed -- I agree that Excel is a tool, but if you know it well and understand how to solve business problems with it, you can make it (a large part of) your job description.

Dom -- you mentioned training, and wondering about your niche. Don't worry too much about a niche, you can start general (working as a contractor for one or more training companies) and then work out from there which direction(s) to move in. And if you're any good as a trainer and communicator, you will be asked about consulting too. That's how I got started, about 10 years ago.

Denis

I'm a CPA for a local engineering firm. I started off using Excel for a lot of the project tracking, internal reporting, and invoicing. However after a while, my boss suggested I give Access a try to see if it is more aligned with what we were doing. What I realized is that what I was doing in Excel was making an overglorified vlookup database. Meanwhile I was missing out on the benefits of indexing, SQL queries, on demand reports, and much more. Now I'm not downing Excel because it surely has its place and is a great working program. But what I've found is that I am much more marketable to an employer with Access skills because not only do you have VBA under your belt, but you are forced to learn the SQL language which spans across almost every (if not all) database management system in use today. Just my $0.02.

Joe

I spent 10 years in a scientific job, where we used Excel everyday for many things, mainly data storage and analysis. But I have worked for the last 15 years in Marketing, more specifically the research side of Marketing. My position now is with a major California financial institution as a Market Research Analyst.

As a result, I have grown from a novice user to what people tell me is an expert--their words not mine. The more I know about Excel, the more I realize there is to learn. I know enough Excel to get the job done and/or get myself in trouble. I currently do everything from managing mailing campaigns to building report and data entry systems to demographic and ROI analysis.

I normally have my own work, as well as 2 or 3 small projects for others in the company who want to work more efficiently. I have done work for my own department as well as Accounting, Branch Administration and Insurance Services. And now the word is starting to spread that I know a little about Excel, so my workload is growing even more.

The only limit to Excel is 1) The number of rows and columns and 2) your imagination.

what I've found is that I am much more marketable to an employer with Access skills because not only do you have VBA under your belt, but you are forced to learn the SQL language which spans across almost every (if not all) database management system in use today. Just my $0.02.

Joe

No arguments there. The combination of the two (Access and Excel) gives you huge scope for defining and solving problems. I use them together all the time, and being able to hook into SQL Server doesn't hurt either.

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sphen22

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back