Excel Introduces TRANSLATE and DETECTLANGUAGE Functions - Episode 2645

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Jul 8, 2024.
Microsoft Excel Tutorial: Excel Introduces TRANSLATE and DETECTLANGUAGE Functions.

Unlock the Power of Excel's New Functions: TRANSLATE and DETECTLANGUAGE

To download the workbook from today: Excel Introduces TRANSLATE and DETECTLANGUAGE Functions - Episode 2645 Sample Files - MrExcel Publishing

Hey Excel enthusiasts! If you found this video helpful, don't forget to click Like down below. It helps more people discover this content. In this video, we're diving into two amazing new Excel functions: TRANSLATE and DETECTLANGUAGE. These functions are game-changers, making it easier than ever to work with different languages in Excel.

First up, the TRANSLATE function. This powerful tool allows you to translate any text from one language to another effortlessly. Just enter your text, specify the source and target language codes, and voila! The translation appears in no time. It's efficient, supporting up to 200 calls at a time before you might encounter #CONNECT! errors. Imagine translating your English text to German, Spanish, or even Arabic with just a few clicks. It's quick, it's easy, and it's highly accurate.

Next, let's talk about DETECTLANGUAGE. This function automatically identifies the language of the text you input. It's incredibly useful for those moments when you're unsure of the source language. Simply pass the text through DETECTLANGUAGE, and it will provide you with the language code. You can then use this information to translate the text back to English or any other language you need. It's a seamless integration that enhances your workflow.

A special shout-out to Smozgur from MrExcel, who previously discussed translating using Power Query and Google Translate. We've come a long way since then, and these new functions offer a more streamlined and accurate solution. Comparing the old method with the new TRANSLATE function shows significant improvements in matching translations. While there are still some hiccups with translating Excel-specific functions, overall, the new tool is a huge step forward.

In summary, these new Excel functions, TRANSLATE and DETECTLANGUAGE, are incredibly useful for anyone working with multilingual data. They save time, improve accuracy, and simplify the translation process within Excel. So, give them a try and see how they can enhance your Excel experience. Don't forget to let me know in the comments if you encounter any issues or have any tips to share.

Thanks for watching! If you enjoyed this video, please Like, Subscribe, and Ring the Bell for more Excel tips and tutorials. Your support helps keep this channel going. See you next time for another netcast from MrExcel!

Buy Bill Jelen's latest Excel book: MrExcel 2024 Igniting Excel

Table of Contents
(0:00) Click Like
(0:12) How to use TRANSLATE function in Excel
(0:54) 200 Calls before CONNECT error
(1:07) Translating one phrase to many languages
(1:23) Issue with right-to-left languages
(1:45) DETECTLANGUAGE function in Excel
(2:00) TRANSLATE defaults to English
(2:24) Smozgur's comparison of Power Query, Chat-GPT, and TRANSLATE
(2:55) Missed opportunity: Why isn't it translating Excel functions correctly
(3:23) Overall a good function
(3:34) Closing Credits

#Excel #ExcelTips #ExcelTutorial #ExcelFunctions #MicrosoftExcel #ExcelTranslation #TRANSLATEFunction #DETECTLANGUAGE #Excel2024 #ExcelHelp #ExcelHacks #MultilingualExcel #SpreadsheetTips #DataTranslation #MrExcel

This video answers these search terms:
Excel TRANSLATE function tutorial
How to use DETECTLANGUAGE in Excel
New Excel translation functions
Excel language translation guide
Excel text translation tips
Microsoft Excel language detection
Translate text in Excel
Excel multilingual data management
DETECTLANGUAGE function example
Excel translation features 2024
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Just down below the video, if you click Like... That'll make sure that YouTube shows this video to more people.
Thanks.
Two new functions come to Excel, TRANSLATE and DetectLanguage.
They are pretty cool. Alright, so the first function is TRANSLATE.
Pass it any text, give it a source language code and a target language code.
So for example, here I have some stuff in English. Enter equal translate, that text.
I'm not going to have to put in English, since it's the default.
And then we're going to go to German.
So let's see, there's a long list here of different codes. It's impressive.
So there's German – “de” - press Enter. It's BUSY!
for just a tiny little bit, but we get the translation. Double click to copy that down.
Yeah, boy, it's pretty quick.
It looks like you can do about 200 calls at a time, then you start getting #CONNECT! errors. So that's pretty good.
Let's try and go to several different languages.
So here: “Is there a more efficient way to do this in Excel”? So, equal TRANSLATE.
We want to translate that text, we'll press F4. From English so I don't have to put it in.
And translate to that language.
And so now my problem is I don't know any of these languages, so you have to let me know down in the YouTube comments below.
Now wait, that one seems way too short – Arabic.
But it turns out because that's a right-to-left language.
It turns out you have to make that wider to see the whole thing.
It's kind of like it wants to spill out of the left edge of the cell.
And since there was already something to the right, it won't spill over the edge of the cell. Yeah, it looks pretty good to me.
Again, let me know down in the YouTube comments if it works.
And here's the other really amazing thing, it can detect the language.
So there's a new function called DETECTLANGUAGE.
We just pass it some text and it will give us the code that it thinks it is.
Which means, that if I wanted to translate these phrases back to English, I could simply just ask it for TRANSLATE() and we'll leave the source language blank.
They'll try and detect it and we'll leave the other language blank. And it amazingly works.
It's great for people who speak English. It's awesome for us that it defaults.
Now just a quick comparison here, a shout out to Smozger from MrExcel.
He has a previous podcast where he talked about translating using Power Query through Google Translate, right?
So this is lyrics to Simon and Garfunkel song and he translated using the old method, translated using chat-gpt and the translated using the translate function. Anytime that is in yellow it's a match, right?
So they're not exact matches, but there's several that match.
Shoot! Missed opportunity here.
Suat was pretty excited when he translated VLOOKUP to Turkish and got the exact correct thing.
But that turns out that was just luck because it's giving us the wrong functions.
Like this would've been a really good one for the Excel team.
Just handle those 500 Excel functions and make sure that those translate correctly.
But overall, a really cool new function better than the old translate panel, which was just a real pain.
You'll be able to translate up to 200 cells all at once. Well, hey, I want to thank you for stopping by.
We'll see you next time for another net cast from MrExcel.
If you like these videos, please down below, Like, Subscribe and Ring the Bell.
Feel free to post any questions or comments down in the comments below.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back