1. Kay
2. Roy
3. Jay
4. Kay
5. Pete
6. Roy
7. Kay
8. Tom

These names might be repeating, such as Kay appearing 3 times above. How do I create a forumula to pull back the names in alphabetical order? But obviously omitting the repeating values? So if the forumula worked correctly I would have:

1. Jay
2. Kay
3. Pete
4. Roy
5. Tom

Thanks in advance

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread - I have learned a lot!

I would like to use this variation of the formulas described so far:

=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:INDEX($A:$A,MATCH(REPT("z",225),$A:$A)),MATCH(0,COUNTIF($A$2:INDEX($A:$A,MATCH(REPT("z",225),$A:$A)),"<"&$A$2:INDEX($A:$A,MATCH(REPT("z",225),$A:$A)))-SUM(COUNTIF($A$2:INDEX($A:$A,MATCH(REPT("z",225),$A:$A)),C$1:C1)),0)),"")

When using this formula, if there is a blank row before the variable in column A that would appear first if all the variables were sorted alphabetically, the formula results in a "0". Can this formula be modified to correct this issue?

Thanks again for all of the time put into analyzing this formula so far, this forum is an excellent resource!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
I have found a work around for the issue, but it slows down the processing speed significantly. The original formula was looking for unique variables in column A and sorting them alphabetically in column C. I I adjusted the formula to look for unique variables in column B instead of A. In $B1 I added the formula =if($a1="","ZZZZ (Empty)",$a1). This adds the text "ZZZZ (Empty)" wherever the corresponding cell in column A is blank. The formula in column C adds "ZZZZ (Empty)" to the end of the list of responses, which I can work with for the purpose of what I am doing.

I would still like to find a way to modify the original formula so that I do not have to use the "helper" column (column B). The helper column really slows down the processing speed and it is not as clean.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread - I have learned a lot!

I would like to use this variation of the formulas described so far:

=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:INDEX($A:$A,MATCH(REPT("z",225),$A:$A)),MATCH(0,COUNTIF($A$2:INDEX($A:$A,MATCH(REPT("z",225),$A:$A)),"<"&$A$2:INDEX($A:$A,MATCH(REPT("z",225),$A:$A)))-SUM(COUNTIF($A$2:INDEX($A:$A,MATCH(REPT("z",225),$A:$A)),C$1:C1)),0)),"")

When using this formula, if there is a blank row before the variable in column A that would appear first if all the variables were sorted alphabetically, the formula results in a "0". Can this formula be modified to correct this issue?

Thanks again for all of the time put into analyzing this formula so far, this forum is an excellent resource!

Also, could the formula be adjusted to ignore blank cells that are blank as a result of a function?

I have found a work around for the issue, but it slows down the processing speed significantly. The original formula was looking for unique variables in column A and sorting them alphabetically in column C. I I adjusted the formula to look for unique variables in column B instead of A. In $B1 I added the formula =if($a1="","ZZZZ (Empty)",$a1). This adds the text "ZZZZ (Empty)" wherever the corresponding cell in column A is blank. The formula in column C adds "ZZZZ (Empty)" to the end of the list of responses, which I can work with for the purpose of what I am doing.

I would still like to find a way to modify the original formula so that I do not have to use the "helper" column (column B). The helper column really slows down the processing speed and it is not as clean.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Let Sheet1, from A2 downwards, house the data of interest.

Define the following dynamic named ranges...

Odata (original data) as referring to:
Rich (BB code):
=Sheet1!$A$2:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,MATCH(REPT("z",225),Sheet1!$A:$A))

Udata (unsorted original data) as referring to:
Rich (BB code):
=INDEX(Odata,MATCH(TRUE,Odata<>"",0)):INDEX(Odata,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,1/(1-(Odata=""))))

C1: #Sorted#

C2, control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(INDEX(Udata,MATCH(0,COUNTIF(Udata,"<"&Udata)-SUM(COUNTIF(Udata,C$1:C1)),0)),"")

Upvote 0
need help formula with unsorted result...

Jo
Joe
Sioux
Chin

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

tengkiu

Upvote 0
i did it, then the result is still sorted on C2

here the file ...

need result like on E2 list

tengkiu for helping :)

Unique list without sorting...

E2, control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$1122,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$1122<>"",
  MATCH($A$2:$A$1122,$A$2:$A$1122,0)),ROW($A$2:$A$1122)-ROW($A$2)+1),
  ROW($A$2:$A$1122)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($E$2:E2))),"")

Upvote 0
Thank you ...

this formula working good :)

Unique list without sorting...

E2, control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$1122,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$1122<>"",
  MATCH($A$2:$A$1122,$A$2:$A$1122,0)),ROW($A$2:$A$1122)-ROW($A$2)+1),
  ROW($A$2:$A$1122)-ROW($A$2)+1),ROWS($E$2:E2))),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LizN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back