Excel Devloper Position

Nate, surely thaqt is for the prospective employer to make that descion at the interview stage?

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
The final hire decision is not my concern or business; I'm concerned with the site, with quality control at MrExcel and moderating the forums. I foresee an issue where people somehow come to the belief that the jobs and resumes are MrExcel.com endorsed somehow...

I'm not in favor of this site, a technical Q&A group of forums, for the most part, having some sort of HR type of functionality; irrespective of who's responsible for what (I don’t like the idea of implied responsibility on the part of this site). In my estimation, I believe this going beyond the scope of this site.

And while I won't be creating a forum here as such, you might be pleased to note that I have passed your idea along to the other Administrators and Moderators here to consider. Perhaps they feel differently...

Here's what I prefer, set up a job description a site that's dedicated for this sort of thing, e.g.,

http://www.monster.com/
http://www.dice.com/

Pick one that services your geographical location, there has to be a lot of sites as such... And drop a quick-note here, something like:

I have posted an Excel-related job opportunity in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, here: Insert link here

Then, take it through that channel, a channel was designed for this sort of thing, outside of these forums.

All good points Nate. Thanks for passing it along. I was thinking along the lines, that it might be a great way to repay all the volunteers that put time and effort into making MrExcel consulation web site such a great site for everyone.

Cal

You're welcome, Cal.

My thoughts aren't intended to provide disincentive or punish anyone here, or anything along those lines.

It boils down to the fact that while this is a great resource, it is run, like almost anything, with limited funds and limited time. Also, you can, and probably should think of MrExcel as brand at this point. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to stretch your efforts too thin while attempting to provide a service that has some serious potential to deteriorate that brand.

I’m not sure such a forum would repay anyone here; I’ve seen this type of thing elsewhere and my impression is that it’s typically utilized by those who aren’t the major contributors or gurus, if you will. The opposite of what one might want to see…

Realistically, you need to want to be active here and that has to be repayment in itself; the site is what you make of it. Everything I do here is on a voluntary basis; taking part, learning, teaching, helping the board flow smoothly, where I can, is repayment enough for me. If something else comes from it, so be it, but to have an expectation as such, well, your expectations might be too high, i.e., you might be setting yourself up for failure.

Having said that, everyone’s thoughts and efforts here are appreciated. Enjoy the forums. :)

Thanks for the advice. I did not want to step on anyones toes or break the forum rules so I am glad for the clarification.

Completely understand your concerns about having job postings on the forum as it may detract from the main purpose.

Personally, and the reason why I wanted to post my job here, is that I know there are some very good Excel developers that use these forums. I am trying to find a replacement for myself and I need to find someone who has developed tools with Excel. Not Access or VB or ASP but Excel. I posted this position and out of 30 responses, only have 1 candidate with a hint of the level of expertise with Excel I need.

So, it just seemed the most direct approach to source someone with the right skillset.

Nate - You suggested the following approach below so in the hope that this is OK, I will followed your example: :)

I have posted an Excel-related job opportunity in San Francisco, California, here: http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/sof/105518574.html

doggo
you said:
Please Note: Excel office jockey’s need not apply. The tools you will be enhancing require you to have excellent coding practices and development procedures that will not be gained by creating macros via the macro recorder.

What do you mean by this?:)

A lot of what I know/learned about using VBA has been through the macro recorder.:)

I know it doesn't generate perfect code, but if you have any sense then you should be able to adapt it.:)

By the way what's an 'Office Jockey', can't remember working in an office that had horses in it.:)

Norie said:
By the way what's an 'Office Jockey'
Code:
Sub MeaningOfJockey()
    With [A1:I1]
        .FormulaArray = "=CHAR({103,105,100,100,121,32,117,112,33})"
        .ColumnWidth = 3
        .HorizontalAlignment = xlHAlignCenter
    End With
End Sub
:wink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattyM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back