Excel and Date Functions

No matter how stupid the person asking the question as a visit a day reminds me on here the point is relevant. GMT:EST or what ever silly times Americans have. Time starts here in Gods country, no wonder I put the same time zone twice why would anyone want to be anywhere else.

High fuel prices High taxes high national insurance bad weather .....we have it all.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
^^ :) We're hoping to catch up to you! In regards to dates/times, I find date formatting as the main "common" problem. I rarely see "conversion to a different time zone" question, so I may not share a sense of frustration on that particular point.

Methinks you have a future as a MS software engineer if you keep this up :biggrin:
:rofl:

It would have been nice to have a "count weekdays between" function in Excel versions prior to Excel 2010. For example, count how many Tuesdays are between a start date and an end date and exclude these dates form the calculation.

I think that can be done in Excel 2010 with the new NETWORKDAYS.INTL function.

Honestly, I don't understand why there aren't many, many, many, many more functions available. I would think that developing worksheet functions is a fairly trivial task as far as developing the Excel application as a whole is concerned. Yet, version after version we see very few new functions added.

I wish I was in charge! Excel would be so much different than it is.

For example, there would be a single worksheet function library that can be downloaded in which ALL functions would work in EVERY version of Excel. They probably think that's not a good idea because that might keep people from upgrading to newer versions. I don't know if that's a realistic concern or not. I've never thought of upgrading just so I could use new functions (which are few and far between in new releases).

In defense of Excel I don't see other spreadsheet programs employing vastly more or different date/time functions (such as OOorg/LibreOffice or Gnumeric). Though I see Apple's Numbers has "duration" functions which is an interesting addition. We may see that in Excel too I should think (coming over from XML). But be careful what you ask for. We *could* end up with hundreds of functions (e.g., information overload) which has its own "cost" of confusing people, making it hard to learn, inhibiting compatibility, and complicating data-sharing and portability. I don't think it is as easy as it sounds making an advanced product that meets the needs of hundreds of different kinds of users and purposes, from mom and dad keeping a wedding guest list to astrophysicists crunching data and everything in between.

I understand the point about calculation overload and to be fair it was only a question regarding GMT to EST that triggered my initiation of the question, but certain repeat questions around work hours and spannning the midnight hour etc to calculate work time would not be unreasonable as companies pay more for the programme.

As for protecting against dumming down .......it's too late for me...save yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xel003

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back