Excel 2016 - Dashboard performance enhancement

MikkelDuif

Hello,

I am currently working out a dashboard in Excel 2016, which might be used on earlier versions of Excel as well.
Right now, the speed of the dashboard is alright, but I would like to know of any enhancements in performance if possible, as there might be added more data later on, or it might be run on a slower computer.

The dashboard consists of 16 dashboard sheets, 3 data sheets, and 1 sheet for collecting data from data sheets to reference to used graphs in frontend.

The sizes of data sheets are as follows:
Data 1: 16,185 rows, 15 columns (242405 cells total)
Data 2: 86 rows, 53 columns (4,548 cells total)
Data 3: 426 rows, 44 columns (18,744 cells total)

The collection of data sheets is mainly based on =vlookup functions combined with =match, and lookup values are changed with a dropdown in the frontend, so the data showed becomes dynamic as to show what the user wants.

E.g., data 1 sheet has 5 different variables (e.g. a time period, a product, etc.). Column B,C,D,E show 4 of the variables, and I use column A as a =B&C&D&E, so I can =vlookup the data and match with column 1 which stores the last variable.

I have tried to search the internet for performance on calculations with with different functions, e.g. =vlookup, =index, =match, =getpivotdata etc.

Does anybody know if I would experience any enhancements in performance if I change my approach on how to get the data? Or is it mainly for older versions I would experience that?
The data sheet currently has 2,500 cells filled out, where around half of it are =vlookup functions.

The sheet does not use any macros except for 2, which are only run upon request.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Also, I am have a question if I will experience improvement by changing my vlookup from exact matches to approximate. I am not too sure how sensitive this function is. Anyone able to tell how much my data needs to differ, and if it is noticeably faster?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back