Excel 2010 - Linked Workbooks no longer opening properly

PurrSent

Board Regular
Using Excel 2010 on Windows 10 (V 1803 (Build 17134.112)

This afternoon I was working on 3 Workbooks, Summary, Income and Outgoings. Both Income and Outgoings files are linked to the Summary ie input new figures on Income or Outgoings and the Summary immediately shows and calculates these new figures.

All was fine with these sheets but I needed a break so clicked on the 'Save' icon for each workbook and shut them down.

I've come back to them this evening, same files/same computer, only to discover the books don't open properly. I can open Summary but when I open either of the other two, they both show the contents of Summary workbook.

When I click on either Income or Outgoings, they become active for a second but then return to the Summary page. I normally open Summary first, then Income, then Outgoings and the above happens. If I try to open only Income, or only Outgoings, ie not open Summary, The Excel window will open but just plain grey, not a spreadsheet.

So, I thought I'd try to work on these on my laptop, also Windows 10, Excel 2010, but exactly the same things happened.

I really don't understand it and find it difficult to explain. I'm hoping someone on here might be able to advice me. I really appreciate your help and advice, please

Many thanks

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Update!!!

Interestingly enough, I've discovered these files open in Excel 2007 so guess what version I'll be using for this project ...
No prizes for the correct answer!!! ;)

Just not sure what I should do about Excel 2010. I suppose just wait for an update??? This is possibly a 1-off issue so maybe I won't get any solution from the forums.

Any suggestions who/where I should post/notify please? Many thanks ;)

Upvote 0
SOLVED!!!

[FONT=&quot]It seems I've, at last, cracked the issue regarding the spreadsheets not opening properly. I had assumed it was to do with the links between workbooks but didn't understand why.

I've discovered if I open them all together, ie in File Explorer, open the folder with the files, highlight all three files, Right click and 'Open'. Bingo, they all open and they're working well :)
[/FONT]
I had considered my issue could be to do with the order of opening the files. It seemed to make sense to me. However, the files contain links to AND from the different Workbooks, hence no 'one' order of opening was working.

Hopefully, another may be able to benefit from this thread as well ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekerinik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back