Excel 2003 & 2007 Questions

yeah, I don't understand what issue you're having.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Before installing 2007, all icons for my 2003 Excel workbooks looked like a sheet of paper with the top right corner bent over and a Green X to the left.

Note: purely going off of memory right now. I"m at home and the computer at work has the 2007 installed.

Since the install of 2007, the icons look similar to a MS window with 6 little "squares" in the middle of this window. Typically what you would get if Windows can not identify the program to use to open it.

I can click on theses icons and it will open in Excl 2003.

Going to Properties, reveals that they are .xls files.
Opens with: line says "Unknown application."
Clicked on the Change...button
and clicked both the 2003 and 2007 Excel icons to Open With - but nothing changes.

Workbooks made from Excel 2007 has the right icon.

Hope that explains, if not I will try again.

Harry

yeah, i get it now - and you're right - the icons have lost their connection to the application. Usually, when you install dual versions, it's the latest version that controls the icons. On my 2007 test system, I tried to change it for xls to open automatically in my 2000.. totally screwed things up. I mean - it worked, but there were errors in the process. So i reset it all back. I wonder if your IT guy tried to set the xls to open in 2003 by default....

tho, your situation is a little different - you aren't mentioning any errors...
have you tried to verify/set those icons for 2003?

have you tried to verify/set those icons for 2003?

I think I did if this is how it is done.

Right click Proerties > Change... > chose the 2003 icon.

Also chose the 2007 icon, but no change and it still opens in 2003 version.

Harry

ok.. you've lost me. What do you want done?
The xls files are opening in 2003 - correct?
you want them to open in 2007?

Yes they do open in 2003
No I don't want them to open in 2007

The issue is - The icons for the 2003 files show as described above.

Since the install of 2007, the icons look similar to a MS window with 6 little "squares" in the middle of this window. Typically what you would get if Windows can not identify the program to use to open it.

Harry

So - you're picking the Excel 2003 icon, but it's not staying that way - it reverts to some other icon.

If you're right-clicking, Properties, Change - that just changes the program that opens the file, not the icon associated with the file type.

To change the icon, you have to go to Tools, Folder Options, File Types, find the extension you want, click Advanced, Change Icon and select from the available icons. My Excel icons are in a file called xlicons.exe.. you might have to look for it.

I want to make sure I'm understanding. You can be running 2007 at the same time you are running 2003? Just make sure when you load 2007 that the file location is vastly different than the 2003 location?

Second question, will 2007 still run .xlm macros?

:beerchug: :o

YES!

Thanks, now after reading separate topic, get some sleep!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beraned1218

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back