Embedding Excel Workbook into Powerpoint

mkmiller

Hi,

I am trying to embed a very large excel workbook into powerpoint. I want to create a template that I can dump a data output into 3 seperate data tabs and have 100+ graphs populate throughout the powerpoint. I currently have this model built in a workbook and have all the graphs in a powerpoint file linked to the excel workbook. So as I update the data the graphs will adjust if I update the links in the powerpoint. Because I cannot change the file names of the either the powerpoint or the excel file I have to do to break the links and save the powerpoint as a different name. This works fine, until I have to make updates to the data, then I have to load the data into the excel template and update the links on the powerpoint template and then make any changes I have made to the powerpoint all over again. If there is a way to embed the workbook into the powerpoint and have the graphs on separate slides point to the data embedded this would be ideal. Does any one know of a way to do this? Any help would be appreciated!!

Wow. You are officially my Excel Hero: IT WORKED!

I copy and pasted the code as you instructed, got a little stuck initially as it was giving me a 'syntax error' for the below line:

Turn of error checking s that it doesn 't crash if the current shape doesn't already have a link

I fiddled with it to no avail and eventually deleted it. Ran it and it seemed to work but gave me an error saying that it couldn't have two versions of the same document open (excel workbook). I then realised that I had to re-name it and once I did that, it seemed to work fine. Updated all the links, they all saved and seems the data is intact.

Am just a little worried about the line I deleted, do you think I need it? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to bypass the error?

Thanks once again for helping, you have saved me a great deal of time!!

:)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Aww... Sorry. I got that, too, and realized it was an uncommented comment. You don't need that line. It's just telling you that the NEXT line is for error checking.

Note how some of the lines have an apostrophe in front. Those lines tell you what the code is doing. Sometimes, they tell you what to change if you want X and what to change if you want Y, etc.

I'm so glad I could help.

Upvote 0
Awesome. No worries, figured I should just double check just to be safe :)

So now that I have a way of ensuring everything is referenced off the correct workbook, do you know whether there is a way to 'finish' the ppt in such a way so that it no longer requires the workbook? Is there a way of perhaps saving/embedding the data into the ppt file itself?

Upvote 0
Sure. Go to the Edit Links thang, and hit Break link. Backup your file first. I haven't used PPT in ay-jes!

:)

Happy Easter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back