Efficient multiplication in VBA with macros

purinqui

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello friends, I am trying to create a code that is as efficient as possible.

What I need to do is Multiply a range of cells by a fixed value and then replace the value that each cell had with that new value.

For example:

In the "D5: 25" range I have different numerical values in each of the cells. Then I multiply each cell by a fixed value and that new value is replaced in each cell (I mean in the range "D5: 25").

I was able to solve it through two ways, but both are "inefficient", since when I run the code it shows that it takes a long time to perform all the multiplication in that range.

And also as I then need to do the same in other ranges too, I know that this code will not be efficient because it will take a long time.

I pass the two codes that do work but are inefficient.

Code 1:

Sub dolartopesos()
'Routine to pass to pesos all the prices of the products of each supplier that are in dollars.

dollars = Worksheets(3).Range("R1")

'---------------------------------------------------

With Worksheets(3)
'Currency exchange

For i = 5 To 25

.Cells(i, 4) = .Cells(i, 4) * dollars

Next i

End With

End Sub

Code2:

Sub dolartopesos()
'Routine to pass to pesos all the prices of the products of each supplier that are in dollars.

dollars = Worksheets(3).Range("R1")

''Currency exchange

Dim rng As Range: Set rng = Worksheets(3).Range("D5:25")
Dim cel As Range
For Each cel In rng.Cells
With cel
cel = Application.WorksheetFunction.Product(cel, dollars)
End With
Next cel

End Sub

Both codes take too long to multiply in that range.

What could I do to speed up the multiplication?

Any contribution will be welcome. From already thank you very much.

Sebastian.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
VBA Code:
[D5:D25] = Evaluate("D5:D25*" & dollars)
Or :
VBA Code:
[D5:D25] = [D5:D25*R1]

Upvote 0
Give this a try (change the highlighted ranges to match your actual required range)...
Rich (BB code):
Sub DollarsToPesos()
  With Worksheets(3)
    .Range("D5:D25") = Evaluate(Replace("@R1*@D5:D25", "@", "'" & .Name & "'!"))
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Give this a try (change the highlighted ranges to match your actual required range)...
Rich (BB code):
Sub DollarsToPesos()
  With Worksheets(3)
    .Range("D5:D25") = Evaluate(Replace("@R1*@D5:D25", "@", "'" & .Name & "'!"))
  End With
End Sub

This code works properly and so fast too !!.

Question: What is the reason to include these symbols : "@" and "'" & .Name & "'!"

Thank you very much.!

Upvote 0
The @ sign is simply a stand in character that gets replaced by the worksheet name (properly encased in apostrophe characters and followed by an exclamation mark) so that the ranges in the formula end up with a properly referenced sheet name. Just so you know, the code I posted is the same as what footoo posted... his code uses shorthand notation that requires the ranges to be fixed whereas my code includes the worksheet reference in case you need to run the macro with a different worksheet active plus my code can easily be modified to make the references dynamic (such as letting the code determine the last cell rather than hard-coding it) should that be required in the future.

Upvote 0
The @ sign is simply a stand in character that gets replaced by the worksheet name (properly encased in apostrophe characters and followed by an exclamation mark) so that the ranges in the formula end up with a properly referenced sheet name. Just so you know, the code I posted is the same as what footoo posted... his code uses shorthand notation that requires the ranges to be fixed whereas my code includes the worksheet reference in case you need to run the macro with a different worksheet active plus my code can easily be modified to make the references dynamic (such as letting the code determine the last cell rather than hard-coding it) should that be required in the future.

Oh is fantastic this explanation.
Thank you very much for your time.
I appreciate the help you gave me .

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back