Dynamic Conditional Formatting for Range without a Macro

snuffnchess

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am currently using the following formula to apply conditional formatting to rows in a dataset

Excel Formula:
=MOD(ROW(),2)=1

And having it apply to
Excel Formula:
=$A$2:$H$203
2024-09-19 12_17_20.png

Row 203 is currently the last row of data - but I want to make it so that if somebody adds/removes a row that the formatting applies to to that last row of data.

I Have tried creating a named rng that would calculate the last row of data - but when i click "apply" in conditional formatting, it just updates to a straight formula and removes the formula and saves it as a fixed range.
Tried stuff like
Excel Formula:
=$A$2:INDEX($G:$G, MLR)
where MLR =
Excel Formula:
=COUNTA(Monthly!$A:$A)

I even tried creating a named range for the entire table (called mrng) with
Excel Formula:
=OFFSET(Monthly!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA(Monthly!$A:$A),8)
, but every time i click "apply" it just goes back to a fixed range.

How does one do this??

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
What is the table name? For example, if your table is named Table1, you could use:

Excel Formula:
=Table1[#All]

for your named range

Upvote 0
What is the table name? For example, if your table is named Table1, you could use:

Excel Formula:
=Table1[#All]

for your named range

I do not have this set as a "table" because I did not want table formatting to apply to it. That was part of my thinking in creating the named range that was more dynamic in nature.

Upvote 0
I do not have this set as a "table" because I did not want table formatting to apply to it
That is kind of interesting, because from the picture in your original post, it looks like this Conditional Formatting (and maybe the use of Filters) appear to try to make it look like Table formatting.
So, is it you want it to look like a table, but not really be a table?
Can I ask why? It just seems a little odd, and if we have an understanding of why you are trying to do it this way, we can offer some better suggestions.

If you had at least one extra row after the end of your data included in the original Conditional Formatting range, then if you insert or delete any rows BEFORE that last formatted row, your Conditional Formatting range will grow/shrink accordingly without you having to do anything special. Of course, that could be hard to enforce, if you are not the only one using it.

Alternatively, you could use VBA to automatically update the Conditional Formatting Rules upon data entry.

Upvote 0
That is kind of interesting, because from the picture in your original post, it looks like this Conditional Formatting (and maybe the use of Filters) appear to try to make it look like Table formatting.
So, is it you want it to look like a table, but not really be a table?
Can I ask why? It just seems a little odd, and if we have an understanding of why you are trying to do it this way, we can offer some better suggestions.

If you had at least one extra row after the end of your data included in the original Conditional Formatting range, then if you insert or delete any rows BEFORE that last formatted row, your Conditional Formatting range will grow/shrink accordingly without you having to do anything special. Of course, that could be hard to enforce, if you are not the only one using it.

Alternatively, you could use VBA to automatically update the Conditional Formatting Rules upon data entry.

That extra line at the end may be a good option... so thank you for that idea. Honestly, the reason I avoided the table route is just from a straight formatting issue. I do not like the default table colors, and did not want to have to recreate for each workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hglymph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back