"Does Not Equal" in expression builder

Hi to all you kind kind people in MrExcel.comland.

This is a really simple question, but one my brain (which has been replaced by Silly Putty :eek: ) is unable to extract from the help files.

If I want to do an expression which compares two text columns, and reports the following conditions:

(a) Column 1 does not equal column 2
AND
(b) Either of the two columns is blank, while the other isn't

...I can't use the <> function, apparently, as that only uses condition (a).

I'm sure it's dead easy, so any non-VB related help would be much appreciated (my VB knowledge doesn't extend past the Australian imported lager of the same name).

Much obliged,
CSBBB

Sorry. What's an unmatched query? It doesn't seem to be what I'm trying to do.

Right. You'll have to forgive me, I have a stinking cold and my brain isn't working, and I really don't want to be here, and I really really really don't want to be titting around with these wretched tables. :cry: So, I'm going to ask you to spell it out for me. I'm really sorry.

What exactly do I need to do to do 4 queries, each of which compares two columns in the two tables and reports how many rows differ between those two columns, either because one is blank and the other isn't, or because both have something in but are different.

I feel really terrible about being so demanding, what with you being so kind 'n' all, but I'm really not working properly today.

Thanks thanks thanks...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
From the Queries object menu, click on "New" and select "Find Unmatched Query Wizard". Access will then step you through the whole process in a very user friendly manner.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majbizzaki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back