Do you know all your VBA code off by heart for interviews?

I have a code library (most kept in personal.xls) that I refer to often. There are certain modules that I use for almost every project and I couldn't recreate them without pulling up the code.

I learned how to code in other languages when I was in college (before Excel existed). I also had to take a 3-credit Lotus 1-2-3 course. When Y2k came around, I was the only one in my company who knew how to interpret the Lotus macros. Since we were changing over to Excel then, and our merit adjustment was calculated using a Lotus macro, I was tapped to teach myself VBA and convert all important Lotus macros to VBA. Needless to say, my coding left a lot to be desired and my Excel wasn't too good, either. Thanks to MrExcel.com, I've gotten much better with both. I've also rewritten the merit adjustment macro and it runs so fast I've had to add a "Processing Completed" message box just so the user knows that it ran.

Now I write and understand code fairly well, but often need help with syntax. And I still don't write the most efficient code. That's why I hang out here so much. You probably did much better on the test than you think.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
That's a pretty bold claim - I don't know anyone who would claim to know all of Excel and VBA. I've been doing this a long time and I certainly don't know all there is to know about either one.

I didn't learn it all of course but at least most of it, There are still some things I don't know and things my father didn't understand so he didn't teach me, like financials for example, I learned 0 complicated financial formulas cuz none of me nor dad understood it, it's full of terms lol, And I didn't learn how to program charts and a few more things to go...
Thx for the.... reply I guess?
ZAX

I didn't learn it all of course but at least most of it...
ZAX
Stick with it and lets chat in a couple of years. I'm sure by then you'll agree that you didn't know (and probably still won't know) most of it. You never really know the scope/size of the topic until you know it all...

I didn't learn it all of course but at least most of it,
Enjoy your teenage years. Its the last time in your life that you will know everything!:laugh:
There are actually layers of Excel/VBA that you probably aren't even aware of!

What I know, I know pretty well, but I am aware that there are a lot of layers that I haven't even really scratched the surface on.
All it takes is reading some replies from people like Aladdin, Rick Rothstein, and the late-great Nate Oliver (as well as many other gurus on this board) to remind me how much I do not know.

Enjoy your teenage years. Its the last time in your life that you will know everything!:laugh:
There are actually layers of Excel/VBA that you probably aren't even aware of!

What I know, I know pretty well, but I am aware that there are a lot of layers that I haven't even really scratched the surface on.
All it takes is reading some replies from people like Aladdin, Rick Rothstein, and the late-great Nate Oliver (as well as many other gurus on this board) to remind me how much I do not know.

Ok, thx for your advice and please, everybody, forget I said anything, I just replied to his question with "yes", the rest is Removed! :rofl:
ZAX

In all seriousness, if you are proficient in Excel & VBA, I encourage you to please take a look at the back log of unanswered questions we have out there (under "Zero Reply Posts"), especially those that are more than a day old.

We would be very grateful if you could help knock some of those off, there are some real challenging ones out there. Anything you can do to help out there would be of far greater value to the board than anything posted in the Lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesFromAustin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back