Divide by Zero error module

gdesreu

Does anyone have a module that will work like excels iferror for access?
The iif statements for this are getting cumbersome for many of my calculations and I would prefer something like iferror([field1]/[field2],null) and NOT calculation: IIf([field2]=0,Null,[field1]/[field2]). This of course is a simple calculation and not representative of the scientific calcs I deal with day in and day out.
Thanks

I tried Googling to see if anyone had created a custom IFERROR function that could be used, but unfortunately I could not find any.
Every instance I came across either uses the methodology you are currently using, or the IIF(ISERROR(... functionality.

Here is a similar thread where revans says he wrote a function for it, but the one he cited from memory doesn't seem to work if the denominator is a null. It appears he got one to work though based on his statement. His concept is not exactly what I was looking for but would definitely help in some scenarios.
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/microsoft-access/608516-handling-division-zero-access.html

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Here is a variation of the UDF in that function that will handle both cases where the denominator is 0 or null.
Code:
Function MyDivision(numerator As Variant, denominator As Variant) As Single

Dim temp As Single

If IsNumeric(numerator) And IsNumeric(denominator) And (denominator <> 0) Then
        temp = numerator / denominator
    Else
        temp = 0
    End If

MyDivision = temp

End Function
But I thought you were looking for something more generic (that would handle more errors than just division).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is a variation of the UDF in that function that will handle both cases where the denominator is 0 or null.
Code:
Function MyDivision(numerator As Variant, denominator As Variant) As Single

Dim temp As Single

Else
        temp = 0
    End If

MyDivision = temp

End Function
But I thought you were looking for something more generic (that would handle more errors than just division).

Well that would be great if possible but I was looking for a divide by 0 function similar to how excels iferror works. This excel formula "IFERROR((A1/B1),"")" solves ALL of my problems because A1/B1 can be any formula. If I could get an access function that just does even divide by zero errors then that solves 99.9% of my access problems as most of the calculations are very complicated ratios.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, did the variation I put up there for you in my last post do what you want?
You would just use it like:
MyDivision(numerator,denominator), i.e.
MyDivision([Field1],[Field2])

Upvote 0
So, did the variation I put up there for you in my last post do what you want?
You would just use it like:
MyDivision(numerator,denominator), i.e.
MyDivision([Field1],[Field2])

its close except it should return null for 1/0 and 1/null.

Upvote 0
Just a small tweak:
Code:
Function MyDivision(numerator As Variant, denominator As Variant) As Variant

Dim temp As Variant

Else
        temp = Null
    End If

MyDivision = temp

End Function

Upvote 0
Just a small tweak:
Code:
Function MyDivision(numerator As Variant, denominator As Variant) As Variant

Dim temp As Variant

Else
        temp = Null
    End If

MyDivision = temp

End Function

yep that worked! I appreciate it! Ill try and test it on some lengthy formulas to see if its hits any snags. I cant see where it would as long as my numerator and denominator are correct, but then again every time I think that I get burned on something. Thanks Again!

Upvote 0
gdesreu

Just out of curiosity, could you post an example of the type of formulas you are working with and perhaps some info on the data structure?

Upvote 0
As usual, I'm probably not seeing the whole requirement so it seems simpler than it really is. What I haven't gleaned from this is exactly how the function is supposed to work (I mean is it supposed to handle a bunch of error types or just division by zero)?

First, to address the question about passing data to a function from a form control: that is the simplest use; passing an object like the control itself is no more difficult, it's just a matter of writing the function to expect one or the other (or even either if necessary). So if you wanted, a function could provide a simple custom message, or a message with an input prompt for a value, or substitute value, or... that's up to you. If this snippet was in a standard module, it could be called from any form to provide one validation (div by zero) and return either the answer or Null. If need be, the operation could be part of the function call (multiplication, subtraction, division, whatever).

In the immediate window, this would run the function - Call divByZero(5, 0)
Or as part of form code, e.g.
lngSomeVariable = divByzero (Me.txt1, Me.Txt2)

Code:
Sub divByZero(x As Long, y As Long) As Variant
On Error GoTo errHandler
divByZero =   x / y
Exit Sub

errHandler:
If Err.Number = 11 Then
   MsgBox "Cannot divide by zero"
  divByZero = Null
   Exit Sub
Else
  Msgbox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description
End If
End Sub
After all this, seems I missed a similar post. Rather than dump it, I'll post it anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachetsely

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back