• Best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Possible and Curious at Best

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iknowu99

Office Version
  1. 2016
I suggest a rating system. When a user posts a new topic he rates it on a 1 to 10 scale. As other users paste suggestions they too post a rating on how difficult of a task was initially. The averaged rating shows on the topics page next to "new posts", by this number users will pick what they want to deal with.

One problem would be that new users would rate their task a 10 when really it's a 2 to the excel community. Thus those users who have more posts (gurus) will rate it and the weighted average will be heavier towards gurus (those who have most posts). Initially this is a potential mess, since even gurus might disagree, but in the long run, people will agree with difficulty ratings. For you reading this, I'm glad.

Good Day

Interesting suggestion. :)

I had to add a 4th option to your poll, to cover the spectrum of potential responses. :wink: :confused: :p :LOL:

Hi,

while the suggestion makes sense, the poll is more kinda joke
the poll options make no sense to me
what do you mean ?
good - better - best - not possible and curious at best :confused:

so this is more a topic for the Lounge to my sense

my suggestion
OR
move this to the Lounge
OR
change the poll to something which makes sense

kind regards,
Erik

Erik,

There were only three options in the poll, originally, Good, Better and Best. I added the following option to the poll:

Not Possible and Curious at Best

Because that's the most realistic answer based on the board's software and how meaningful any ranking system would be. ;)

To quote another person on how the OP would generally rank their quandary, in terms of difficulty, it's very easy to picture something like this:

"Most difficult thread.... EVAR!!!" :rolleyes:

And if I, in turn, rank it 1 out of 10, or 5 out of 10, what difference does that make? How is this meaningful to the thread or our forums? :confused:

• Edited by Nate: Typos... fixed... :rolleyes:

I added the following option to the poll:

Not Possible and Curious at Best

Because that's the most realistic answer based on the board's software and how meaningful any ranking system would be.
you know I knew that :biggrin:

my question was if this wouldn't belong to the Lounge ?

when posting about board-stuff you have two options
or you are serious (perhaps with a little :wink: ) ==> About this Board
or you are joking (perhaps with a little :oops: ) ==> Lounge

but this is too "mixed" to my sense

nice to meet you again: seems long ago for me

greetings from Belgium,
Erik

Well, I don't think the OP was joking about the idea, while the poll was a bit of a joke... Which is all fair enough...

And my added option was a playful way of saying, 'no can do, hombre', but it was a serious response. :)

This thread is all about site-related functionality, my friend, and here it shall remain. :wink:

the idea was posted in a humorous way but as a suggestion; thanks for a friendly yet pessimistic response - the implementation will prove the goods, the board upgrade will have some impact. For example facebook.com had great upgrades after they first opened their site but after some time added a "News Feed". This was offensive to many people since their last login time was seen - they started an "online coalition" :), since their privacy was revealed. Eventually moderators got enough feedback to turn NewsFeed to the patron's option. Any update can be turned into a good.

When I see Erik replying to posts, I know there will be a solution behind that post. It would be interesting to see how he rates the difficulty of the post. Thus i suggest the persons with more posts will have more weight

let's pretend the "Difficulty Ratings" is the first and is rated on importance

NateO - 8
Erik - 9
Mike - 10

so (.8 * 7860 + .9 * 11380 + 1* 325) /(325+7860+11380) =

mrexcel participants do not abuse posting rights - the underlying factor with the ratings

Hello,

I still don't follow this... There are members here with over 1,000 posts who can barely use Excel. It has nothing to do with abuse, they're asking questions, posting in the Lounge, etc... :)

Conversely, there are members here with low post counts who are indeed experts. :wink:

Post count <> expertise, especially in niche areas of Excel... This is called a fallacy. I just added 1 to my post count with this post, and how does this bear any impact on my ability to judge the difficulty of a thread? :confused:

If you're speaking to the rating functionality of vBulletin, keep in mind that:

1. That functionality has nothing to do with 'difficulty'
  2. We are not using that software
  3. There is no time frame to switch to that software, or any other forum upgrades at this time
How does ranking, especially based on the logic of post-count, add value to these forums? :confused:

Regards,
NPO
Super, Heavy Duty, Hardcore Forum Administrator

NateO, it seems you are deffending your massive amount of 7000+ posts. I strongly agree with you about falicy: Post count <> expertise this is as fact as it gets! Yet the second part is Post =? board experience. As people increase their post count they are more accustomed to the general populations' perspectives. I can suggest that from a statistical point of view it makes the most sense - like you mentioned 1000 posts and an amateur to excel. Okay possible, not likely but possible. I have 300 posts, it's everythin i ever learned about excel. and i am no professional but i collect ishloads of data and have vba running every minute at my house so i can run stat models. So one with 1000....well you get the idea. But lets say this grandguy still knows nothin about excel....he wouldnt parcticipate on this forum for so long if he didnt like it, the incentives are either to ask questions or find solutions. Grandguy has experience on the board - he approximately, from his perspective, knows the weight levels of posts. Averaging out the averagejoes, experts and amateurs, wouldnt that be great.

And yes, Mr. Admin, as for the programming aspect, it might be a challenge. vBulletin, this is an unfamiliar term to me. Yesterday i was stuck for a minute because the arrow keys werent working in excel:) But there are too many bright minds on this site to not overcome such feat.

have a good day, i know i will :cool: im vba'ing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJPsmt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back