Difficulty importing excel data

chris-evans

Board Regular
I am working with Access & Excel 2000 and am trying to import some data to a table from a spreadsheet. I have other files that have imported fine but there is one file that I am having difficulty with.

Access keeps saying that there was an error importing the file and that the data was not imported. I have tried copying and pasting the data into different files, reformatting the data but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Without actually seeing the data, my guess would be that you're having issues with Data Types. What Access does with Excel is make guesses of the data types of each field by looking at the first 10 or so rows of data. If you had a field where the first 10 rows were numbers, but it was actually supposed to be a text field, then any text in that column will be rejected. A brutish way to work-around this is to add a row between the column heading row and the first data row, write an "X" in each field, and then just import everything as text into a temporary import table. Once it's in the database, you can delete your "X" row, and then write an Append Query to Append the import table records to your final table, using handy query tools like Iif statements to validate your data and conversion functions (CDate, CStr, etc.) to get your data in the format that it should be in.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaskin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back