Difference: Split database and make Accde

More or less, that's the gist.

When you split the original database, the resulting "original" piece just has the data tables in it, while the new Front-End has all the other objects and links to the tables in the original.

You only distribute the accde to to users. You don't actively use the non-accde copy of the Front-End for anything. You just need to hold on to it in case you want to make any changes to the Front-End (in which case you would do it there, and then create a new accde from that).

Hi Joe, thanks for all your help. I have just one more question. What happens when you keep the "original" database with only the tables on a network folder, which has restricted permissions and you provide the copies of the front end to users who may or may not have permissions to that folder?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
If you want users to be able to use the database, they will need the appropriate permissions to the location where those tables reside.
So either you will need to give them the appropriate permissions, or put the database somewhere that they have access to.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I just split my "original" database and put the split db with only the tables in a network folder. I then created a "front end" which resides on my desktop. The front end includes a form from the "original" db which allowed users to enter some values via text boxes. But when I open this form through the front end the textboxes appear to be disabled. Why is it so?

Upvote 0
Are macros/VBA enabled for that user?

Upvote 0
Are macros/VBA enabled for that user?

Yes macros are enabled. The user is me. I am testing the front end. I have created another form in the same database which allows me to view the records in the table but the form which should allow me to update the records doesn't display the textboxes

Upvote 0
Not sure. Without access to your databases and network environment, I am afraid there is not much I can do.
My only thought is perhaps that front-end copy is corrupt, and you may want to try creating a new one and see if it has the same issues.

Upvote 0
Not sure. Without access to your databases and network environment, I am afraid there is not much I can do.
My only thought is perhaps that front-end copy is corrupt, and you may want to try creating a new one and see if it has the same issues.

I tried creating a new front end but it's still the same issue. I followed the instructions from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/304932

The back-end database is saved on a network drive with full read write access and the front end is on my local drive

Upvote 0
I wouldn't think that the back-end has anything to do with why Text Boxes wouldn't be visible on your front-end.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't think that the back-end has anything to do with why Text Boxes wouldn't be visible on your front-end.

I realized what the problem is. I had not given myself full control of that folder. I have updated the permissions and have fixed the problem. But thanks for following up.

Upvote 0

Hi Joe,

I have one more question. Now the db that I have created stores the paths of some docs on a shared drive. And these are presented to the user through forms. So if a user wants to access these docs he has to click the link which opens that particular doc. The problem is the links that the user clicks on shows the entire path of the file. And since I have to give full rights to the users to make the forms work it's possible they could locate the folder through the file paths and play a mischief with the files on the shared drive. So how do I prevent Access from displaying the paths while at the same time provide a link to the users to click on?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aiden Jenner

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back