Difference: Split database and make Accde

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
I believe so. I think you want to split the database first, then make the Front-End and accde.
Just be sure to save a copy of the Front-End before it is made to an accde, as if you ever need to make changes to it, you will need the version that is not an accde.

Upvote 0
I believe so. I think you want to split the database first, then make the Front-End and accde.
Just be sure to save a copy of the Front-End before it is made to an accde, as if you ever need to make changes to it, you will need the version that is not an accde.
thanks for the quick response. One more question, if I were to create an accde after creating a split and then make this accde available on a network, can it be shared by multiple users at once? Can they read and update to the database simultaneously? Thanks

Upvote 0
The whole point of a split database is that there should be one back-end database which holds all the data, and then each user should have their own copy of the Front-End, and then yes, they can read and update the database simultaneously without issue (the only issue would be if two people try to update the exact same record simultaneously). So if you are making the accde from the Front-End of the split database, then yes, you will want to give each user their own copy.

Upvote 0
The whole point of a split database is that there should be one back-end database which holds all the data, and then each user should have their own copy of the Front-End, and then yes, they can read and update the database simultaneously without issue (the only issue would be if two people try to update the exact same record simultaneously). So if you are making the accde from the Front-End of the split database, then yes, you will want to give each user their own copy.
but I have read online that if you give users a local copy of their own front-end it could pose problems in the future when any modifications need to be made

Upvote 0
but I have read online that if you give users a local copy of their own front-end it could pose problems in the future when any modifications need to be made
I disagree. You simply need to distribute a new version if there are modifications.

It is actually easier than you think. We create a simple little batch file that they use to open the database. What the batch file actually does is copy down a fresh copy of the Front-End from the network to their computer, and then open that copy. So to do any updates, all you would need to do is replace the copy on the network that the batch file copies down to users computers each time.

See this thread for details: Possible to send out a "patch" or better way of updating databases for multiple users?

Trust me, you do NOT want users opening the exact same single copy of the Front-End at the same time. It defeats the whole purpose of splitting it.

Upvote 0
I disagree. You simply need to distribute a new version if there are modifications.

It is actually easier than you think. We create a simple little batch file that they use to open the database. What the batch file actually does is copy down a fresh copy of the Front-End from the network to their computer, and then open that copy. So to do any updates, all you would need to do is replace the copy on the network that the batch file copies down to users computers each time.

See this thread for details: Possible to send out a "patch" or better way of updating databases for multiple users?

Trust me, you do NOT want users opening the exact same single copy of the Front-End at the same time. It defeats the whole purpose of splitting it.

Please correct me if I am wrong:

1. first I split the DB. This creates a copy of the original database with all the forms, tables and queries but the tables are just links to the original DB.

2. Next I convert this copy which has the links to the tables and make it an accde. This accde will hide all vba coding and which is what I need to copy and share with the users.

So in this case it creates 3 instances, one the original DB, next the copy with links to the original tables, then the accde.
Am I correct?

Upvote 0
More or less, that's the gist.

When you split the original database, the resulting "original" piece just has the data tables in it, while the new Front-End has all the other objects and links to the tables in the original.

You only distribute the accde to to users. You don't actively use the non-accde copy of the Front-End for anything. You just need to hold on to it in case you want to make any changes to the Front-End (in which case you would do it there, and then create a new accde from that).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aiden Jenner

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back