DATEVALUE function not working

davidam

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello Everyone,
I just acquired a new computer and a newly purchased copy of Excel 2021. A spreadsheet that I have been working with for years has a new problem. The DATEVALUE function returns #VALUE for everything.
I downloaded and repaired my copy of office and the problem was not fixed. I imagine this is a mission critical feature for many users; it certainly is for me. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe my new computer is glitchy, although I doubt it; when I put =Today() into a cell if returns the proper date. When I reference that cell with DATEVALUE, I get #VALUE.
Thanks,
David

B34 has a value of
Excel Formula:
=BE34&"/"&AA34&"/"&AD34
and then DATEVALUE points to B34
Sorry for the messy replies
Should say B4 has a value of
Excel Formula:
=BE34&"/"&AA34&"/"&AD34
and then DATEVALUE points to B4
This has got me stressed out!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
What exactly is in B34, AA34 & AD34?

Upvote 0
A reminder:

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at:

There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
What exactly is in B34, AA34 & AD34?

I have created a simplified version of this error
Test of Datevalue.png

B1 = DATEVALUE(A1&"/"&A2&"/"&A3)
B2 = (A1&"/"&A2&"/"&A3)
When I open it on my other computer it works fine.
I doubt there is anything that can be done about this.
It seems that Excel is a bit flaky on my new computer.

Upvote 0
A reminder:

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at:

There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
That is so interesting. I was thinking that maybe the engineers at MS might have seen this, rather expert coders as per this forum. I am curious as to how you would even know such a thing. LOL

Upvote 0
It seems that Excel is a bit flaky on my new computer.
If you type 11/11/2023 in a cell and press enter on the problem computer, does the resulting value align left or right in the cell?

Upvote 0
That means it's text, and that suggests that whatever your regional settings are set to on that computer, they don't use a date format involving forward slashes. What region is the computer set to?

Upvote 0
That means it's text, and that suggests that whatever your regional settings are set to on that computer, they don't use a date format involving forward slashes. What region is the computer set to?
It Does seem a bit odd
Region.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SWahl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back