Dates Converting to 1900 When Used in Chart?

Alkemist

Board Regular
Hia everyone...

I've been experimenting with dynamic charts by defining a formula using the COUNTA function etc...

One column of data that is used in my charts are dates, they form the x axis and start at about April 2000 going through to the present day (format used xx/xx/xxxx). The column is formatted as a date column.

On the charts which use this data the dates either do not appear at all (using auto units on the x axis) or start from 1900 if the x axis is set to date units. It is doubly strange because the data covers almost 4 years from April 2000 to Dec 2003 but the x axis starts from 1900 and goes up to about 1908!?!?!? The charts are displayed correctly despite the incorrect x axis. If I manually change the x axis range to cover my data range the chart gets squashed to the left as if it's still trying to plot between 1900 and 1908.

Before when I altered the charts manually (no dynamic charts) by clicking on the chart and dragging the box to cover the data the x axis displayed normally.

What am I doing wrong and how do I put it right?...I'm well confused and have spent many hours trying to figure it out...

Thanks in advance...Alkemist

This solution still works in 2024.

My excel formulas were checking the first date in the list, and adding a half day, and then if the new date is in the same month as the old date, replacing it with a blank "". It was the "" cells which were messing with the X axis. When the formula incremented high enough such that it rolled over to the next month and the date began to read as "", the X axis failed and started listing 1/0/1900 as the start date. By replacing all of the "" cells with NA() instead, the issue resolved itself. See the formulas below.

Formula which resulted in X axis failing to 1/0/1900:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(MONTH(I3+0.5)=MONTH(I3),I3+0.5,[B]""[/B]),[B]""[/B])
Note that this formula was in cell I4 copied through I64, and the I3 referenced here was an absolute date between 1/1/24 and 1/31/24.

Fixed Formula:
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(MONTH(I3+0.5)=MONTH(I3),I3+0.5,[B]NA()[/B]),[B]NA()[/B])
Please ignore the [.B] and [./B]s in my excel code. They are text formatting to make the text bold in this forum. Do NOT include them in your formulas.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORBY10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back