Date manipulations in Access

cgsiii

I have two calculated date fields that I am trying to create in a Make Table Query. I am using Access 97 and have not been able to locate any answers in the Help file. I have also searched the message boards to no avail, so if by chance these questions have been answered, I apologize, but ask that you direct me to the responses.

1. I would like to take a date field mm/dd/yy, and return the text name of the month. The Excel function of =TEXT(A1, "mmmm") works great, but I can not locate the same function in Access.

2. again using a date field mm/dd/yy, I would like to create a "week of" date with the week beginning on Monday. I had created a formula to create such a field some years ago in Excel, but have long since forgotten how to do it, not to mention that Access functionality is not always a mirror image of Excel

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
In the query view go to your date field.
Right mouse click & choose Properties
Under the General Tab > Format type the following:
mmmm
When you run the query this will only give you the month.

Hope this helps. :coffee:

Upvote 0
Parra, Thanks for the quick response and advice that was exactly what I needed. I was looking for some type of complex calculation and the answer was simply built intot he field format. I did get thrown for a bit of a loop however. The fix worked in VIEW, but when I actually created the table, the results still showed the standard date format. I then realized that since I had previously created the table, the original formatting was still present. A simple format change in the table corrected the problem.
While no one responded to my second question, I believe I "tinkered" my way to a solution. Others may suggest a more elegant way to accomplish the end goal, but I created the following and it works for what I needed to accomplish: Week Of: [customer acceptance date]-(Format([customer acceptance date],"w")-2) with [customer acceptance date] being a date in the mm/dd/yy format.

Chuck :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirofa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back