Data Tables Slowing Down Excel

WindsorKnot

Board Regular
I'm using a model which has 8 different Data Tables. (No I did not create). I currently had the calculation mode set to manual. However, when I go to save, the file takes over 5 mins to complete the saving process, while it is no more than 4MB in size. Is there any way I could speed up the data table process, either manually or through a macro?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
WidnsorKnot, I feel your pain!:banghead:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I had a similar problem with a commission calculation file that had at least that many tables and way too many SumProduct and Vlookup formulas with everything referring to practically each table. The file was slow in Excel 2003 but then a few years back when I switched it to Excel 2007 it became horrible beyond words. When I turned calculations to Automatic it would take over a half an hour to calculate and Saving took closer to an hour. I was running a very fast two chip processor with tons of RAM so it wasn't the machine.<o:p></o:p>
After some apprehension I re-built the entire file from scratch in Excel 2007, replaced the SumProduct formulas with SumIfS formulas and the calculation and save time was cut down about 90%. <o:p></o:p>
For quick fixes try these:<o:p></o:p>
1. If you're in a hurry and don't want to recalculate everything use "Shift + F9" (which only calculates the Active Sheet). Often there are only a couple sheets that require recalculation based on changes that you've made. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
2. If you have sheets that aren't tables but summarize the table data, use the "Calculation Option" "Automatic except for Data Tables". <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
3. Oh yeah, in the Excel Options go to the Formulas section and under Calculation Options select Manual and then un-check Recalculate workbook before saving. That will also save you valuable time and allow you to save and move on much quicker.<o:p></o:p>
Best of Luck,<o:p></o:p>

Dan DeHaven<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
There are no hard and fast rules for this kind of behavior, I'm afraid.

It might be that you have way too much data, or very inefficient calculations (that should perhaps be replaced with VBA-code), or ...

On each of the sheets, if you hit Ctrl-End, where do you arrive? Is this far away from the cell that you thought is the last one on the sheet? Delete rows and columns in between then.

Well, not much sensible things to say about it, I'm afraid. Can you post the file to some free upload site like Rapidshare?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowie27

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back