Creating shortcuts into specific Excel worksheets

Retrofit

Hey!

I want to create a bunch of windows shortcuts into the same excel workbook, but into different worksheets inside that book.
Haven't found any solution to this, anyone here who knows what has to be done to make that happen?

Cheers,

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I'd say the simple solution is to break your worksheets into workbooks. If you want this solution because you have a ton of sheets, you might consider making a welcome sheet with hyperlinks to key sheets.

If you're really stuck on trying to get that to work, I'd say create some VBScript files that open the workbook and a particular worksheet in that workbook. If you typically have Excel open, you can create macros to do the same thing and put them on your action bar or put them on a custom tab in Excel.

Besides those options, I'm not sure how else you may do it.

Upvote 0
Give me a couple examples of what you would want the shortcut keys to do.

For example: If Active Sheet name is "Me" do this
If Active Sheet name is "You" do this

Upvote 0
Give me a couple examples of what you would want the shortcut keys to do.

For example: If Active Sheet name is "Me" do this
If Active Sheet name is "You" do this

I have a bunch of different people, going to interact with this document. They are all not very technical and what I'm trying to do is give them a button to click on, which brings them to their worksheet. They only have 1 worksheet per person, so I don't want them having to go through the others, possibly ruining stuff.

So example (assume they all have different computers, but the same filesystem/harddrive connections):

Person 1 -> Clicks Shortcut on their desktop or wherever i decide to save it -> It opens the workbook "Common.xlsx" -> It directly brings them to "Worksheet 1"
Person 2 -> Clicks Shortcut on their desktop or wherever i decide to save it -> It opens the workbook "Common.xlsx" -> It directly brings them to "Worksheet 2"
Person 3 -> Clicks Shortcut on their desktop or wherever i decide to save it -> It opens the workbook "Common.xlsx" -> It directly brings them to "Worksheet 3"

Upvote 0
I'd say the simple solution is to break your worksheets into workbooks. If you want this solution because you have a ton of sheets, you might consider making a welcome sheet with hyperlinks to key sheets.

If you're really stuck on trying to get that to work, I'd say create some VBScript files that open the workbook and a particular worksheet in that workbook. If you typically have Excel open, you can create macros to do the same thing and put them on your action bar or put them on a custom tab in Excel.

Besides those options, I'm not sure how else you may do it.

Yes, the simple solution is workbooks, but I want to see if it can be solved without it, because it makes it more difficult to make them all report to my Master database.
And I don't want to give them a choice, so a Table of content list is not what i need im afraid.
Having macros probably won't help me either, than I'd rather use several workbooks and rebuild my database connections.

Upvote 0
I thought when you said create shortcuts you were referring to shortcuts like
Ctrl +A
Or Ctrl + B

Clicking on a button is not normally referred to as a shortcut

If you want to create a whole lot of buttons for people to click on then you need to create some Activex command buttons and put your scripts in each button as to what you want this button to do.

I do not think you will find someone here willing to write you 25 scripts to do what ever you want. but you may be able to.

You would have to explain what you want every button to do in detail.

Do you know how to do any Vba scripting?

You could use the Macro Recorder and then put that script into a activex command button.

Upvote 0
If you believe the username of the person is going to be reliable, you could create a script to run on the workbook open event and open a specific sheet based on the username value. You can even set sheets to be hidden or locked with the same code. Here is a basic example:
Code:
Select Case Environ("USERNAME")
    Case "Username1"
        Sheets("Sheet5").Activate
    Case "Username2"
        Sheets("Sheet6").Activate
End Select

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back