Creating multiple login usernames/passwords in workbook

SonicBoomGolf

I am sure that what I want to do can be done, but I don't have any idea where to start with this. On that note, this post is meant to be a brainstorming session :biggrin:

I have a tab of a workbook devoted to inputing information that is used to develop a profile on a particular person. Upon completing all the fields, the person hits my "Create Profile" button and their information is entered into my "database" (a different tab in the workbook). Pretty straight forward so far.

What I would like to do is have the person also enter a username and password on my profile creation tab so that when they enter the workbook next time they can enter their username and password and they will be directed to their specific tab in the workbook (for arguments sake we will make this their personal "profile" tab)

I guess that what I am looking for is a login prompt upon opening the file that asks for the users name and password. The login would check the "database" tab to see if the login matches the current username/password combinations on file. If the login matches, they are directed to their special tab. If they don't have a username/password then there will also be the option to create a profile.

There would be multiple profiles, each with a different login name/password chosen by the creator. None of them are accessing the file at the same time.

So what do the pros think?? :)

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a workbook that requires username and password to access the sheet(s) that you specify for each user (put together with help from board members).

I'm sure you could adapt it to do what you want (just share when you're done... :LOL: )

Smitty

Upvote 0
Yes, this can definitely be done. Until one of the real pros answers, here's a couple of ideas I would use for this.
I would plan on having all the different user's sheets hidden except for the login one you want to show upon the workbook open.
I would then have the workbook open event call up the login prompt. (Either a userform with a couple of text boxes and some sort of control to allow the creation of a new profile for the new user (a checkbox maybe?), or go without the userform and employ a couple of inputboxes for the username and then the password.

Are you just looking for ideas, or are you looking for help with the coding too?

Dan

Edit:
I take it back. Looks like a real pro did reply already! :LOL:
Heya Smitty. How's things down in the "real world"?
Dan

Upvote 0
I think I could do the coding (hopefully), but if anyone had any suggestions or snipets of code they might have it would probably help. I am going to see what Smitty sends me. Sounds like some good stuff.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I have a feeling it'll be quite helpful. Now that I think about it, I have a workbook I wrote that does that too, but it must be at work because I can't seem to find it here.
I'm sure Smitty will get you squared away...

Dan

Upvote 0
HalfAce, if you have anything like this could you send it my way also?? Let me know if you can send me something and I will PM you my e-mail. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Check out this thread on a similar subject.
I'll check when I get back to work tomorrow, (already been and gone for the day), & see if I can dig up what I'm thinking I have there but this might help in the meantime as it seems to be along the same lines as what you're looking for. (Another good example from Glaswegian in the link there too.)
http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?t=147748&highlight=
Hope it helps,
Dan

Upvote 0
EXCEL ALREADY KNOW'S WHO YOU ARE

If each of your users is logging into the computer system with their own login Id you really don't have to create another login :eek:

Excel will recognize each person by the name they have logged in with automatically .... so why create another one ? Especially when this one will be less secure and just another password they will need to remember. What's worse is the user will probably use the same password here ... and this password is easily cracked ! :eek:

Here's a little DEMO to show you that the spreadsheet already know's who you are ....

Code:
Public Sub WhoIsLoggedIn()
    LoginName = Environ("username")

MsgBox "Hello " & LoginName
End Sub

If you go with this method you don't have to ask the WetWare who they are ... just collect their Profile info and store it using their Login Name :wink:

Upvote 0
Good thinking Nimrod.
I just assumed the OP was referring to a workbook specific type log in, with everyone being the same computer User like we do it here.

By the way, what is "WetWare"? I assume it means the users, but what's the correlation?

Dan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back