Counting Non-Consecutive columns where it matches a criteria

mandye

I have a spreadsheet which has columns for Planned and Actual figures by period in the following layout

1 1 2 2 3 3
Planned Actual Planned Actual Planned Actual
1 3 1 0 1 0

The figures going across the top of the table represent periods, the second row states whether it is planned or actual and the last row gives the figure.

I would like to be able to count the total number of instances that occur for the Planned and Actuals, where the period number from the top matches the periods so far that I would like to report on.

E.G., using the above information at Period 2 I have a total of 2 planned items and 3 actual items and since I only want to count the instances, this is now 2 planned items and 1 actual item.

Can anyone help me with a formula to get this. My actual spreadsheet is a lot more complicated than the above otherwise I would simply have hidden columns which give the figures side by side and use an offset formula. I can't use nested IF statements either since I can only use a maximum of 7 and I have 13 columns for each Planned and Actual.

Does anyone have simple solution for this which doesn't involve adding additional columns??

Yours hopefully

M

Re: Counting Non-Consecutive columns where it matches a crit

mandye, it would be helpful if you supplied the desired results using the example that you provided in your original posting...

• 1 1 2 2 3 3
    Planned Actual Planned Actual Planned Actual
    1 3 1 0 1 0

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Re: Counting Non-Consecutive columns where it matches a crit

Thanks to everyone who helped me on this - in the end I opted to use the SUMPRODUCT function and my spreadsheet works great now -
hurrah! :P

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pedroDH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back