Countdown To World Cup 2010

Domski

All very exciting on Friday evening with the draw being made for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa :biggrin:

Highlights obviously being England benefiting from some very favourable ball drawing with Slovenia, Algeria and some place called the USA to overcome before the knockout rounds, and Portugal being thrown in to the so called "Group of Death".

Despite most games being played at a reasonable hour of the day I'm still contemplating whether it's worth taking a couple of weeks off work to soak up some serious footballing action (and plenty of beer).

Only 186 days to go. Bring it on!!!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Despite most games being played at a reasonable hour of the day I'm still contemplating whether it's worth taking a couple of weeks off work to soak up some serious footballing action (and plenty of beer).

I'm just hoping to HAVE a decision to make ;)

(and though group C was not too bad the likelihood is a tough 2nd round fixture, assuming of course there is a 2nd round fixture...)

I'll be living back in SA come April 2010, so Dom / Luke, if you need a chaperone then let me know! I'll be living in Stellenbosch, in the winelands not far from Cape Town. Very beautiful part of the world... Not sure what my living arrangements will be but certainly happy to offer a place to stay provided I have my own place by then (should do). Otherwise I am sure I can sort you out with accommodation!

soak up some serious footballing action (and plenty of beer)

Stay away from South African beer Dom, it's nothing as good as our beer. Bit like American beer - light and tastes like ****! :biggrin:

In SA we drink Spoeg en Diesel (translates as Spit & Diesel) - Brandy and Coke! Yuk!

Alas my travel arrangements will be limited to which pub in Leeds I fancy watching each game :-(

Trying to decide between South Africa and Canada for my 2011 holiday though so you might get a knock on the door at some point ;-)

Dom

Bit like American beer - light and tastes like ****!
Sure, if you buy the mass produced stuff, like Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc. If I want that stuff, I'll drink tap water and save myself the money (light and tastes like water!).

Many Americans, like myself, actually prefer stuff from American microbreweries. They are popping up everywhere now and becoming quite popular. There is a place not far from me that produces beers for local bars, and have 24 microbrews on tap all the time (they make more than that, and rotate the ones on tap). Most of them are ales. It is a fun place to go. You can pay a few bucks to get a tour and a tasting card for 6 different beers (or join the club and taste all you want!), then take home a few growlers of your favorite.

Hmmm... Might need to make a trip there soon for the holiday season!;)

Many Americans, like myself, actually prefer stuff from American microbreweries. They are popping up everywhere now and becoming quite popular. There is a place not far from me that produces beers for local bars, and have 24 microbrews on tap all the time (they make more than that, and rotate the ones on tap). Most of them are ales. It is a fun place to go. You can pay a few bucks to get a tour and a tasting card for 6 different beers (or join the club and taste all you want!), then take home a few growlers of your favorite.

I think it's much the same in SA, but they are far and few between. I know of one great one run by a German family. Stroll in, drink copious amounts of stout and eat pretzels. Yum!

I'll be living back in SA come April 2010, so Dom / Luke, if you need a chaperone then let me know! I'll be living in Stellenbosch, in the winelands not far from Cape Town. Very beautiful part of the world... Not sure what my living arrangements will be but certainly happy to offer a place to stay provided I have my own place by then (should do). Otherwise I am sure I can sort you out with accommodation!

Permanent move? How long were you in UK before deciding to return?
We used to have our Christmas holidays in Capetown

Stay away from South African beer Dom, it's nothing as good as our beer. Bit like American beer - light and tastes like ****! :biggrin:

Yeah, tried English bitter and was just getting used to it when the yeast alleragy kicked in :-( --- Back to lager.

In SA we drink Spoeg en Diesel (translates as Spit & Diesel) - Brandy and Coke! Yuk!

A Spanish variant is sol y sombra -- brandy and Pernod. Not as bad as it sounds...

Oh yes, this is about football too -- Australia could have a tough time of it with their draw, but miracles happen (and might need to if we're to go beyond the first round!)

Denis

I'm just waiting to see which group Ireland will join when they become the "33rd team", perhaps in with France......

Permanent move? How long were you in UK before deciding to return?
We used to have our Christmas holidays in Capetown.

We think it will be permanent move, depends really on how my girls adapt. I've been in UK for about 11 years now - love it here but think family is important now I have a little one.

Cape Town? So you must know Stellenbosch then! Next time you pop over let me know. :)

Yeah, tried English bitter and was just getting used to it when the yeast alleragy kicked in :-( --- Back to lager.

A Spanish variant is sol y sombra -- brandy and Pernod. Not as bad as it sounds...

That is a very nasty allergy to develop. :eeek: Lager is no substitute to English bitter. I'm shipping my car over, think I need to load it full of beer!

I still think it is bizarre that SA get to host the world cup! :confused: Hope they have truly sorted out the accommodation issues. And I am so worried SA will get bad press with the crime. Tourists need to be careful and watch behaviour when out on a bender! Crime in SA is over-stated in my opinion, but it helps to know what places to avoid...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabat01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back