count + or function

Student for life

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know how to count cells that match either of multiple criteria? COUNTIFS formula is actually a count of cells that match more than one criteria -count with multiple AND in it- where as I'm looking for a formula with multiple OR.
I hope I've explained it clearly.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. I totally get the logic but have two quick questions about the formula. Do you need to have two parenthesis around column B =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="X"),--(((B1:B1000="Y"))+(C1:C1000="Z")>0))? I took them off and nothing changed?

Also, am I correct assuming the double negative outside the B & C column
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="X"),--(((B1:B1000="Y"))+(C1:C1000="Z")>0)) is coercing the TRUE/FALSE for both of these columns at the same time? I moved the double negative inside the parenthesis and got a different value.

Could be written as:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="X"),--((B1:B1000="Y")+(C1:C1000="Z")>0))

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Also, am I correct assuming the double negative outside the B & C column =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="X"),--(((B1:B1000="Y"))+(C1:C1000="Z")>0)) is coercing the TRUE/FALSE for both of these columns at the same time?

No. The B1:B1000="Y" will return a TRUE or FALSE value. The C1:C1000="Z will return a TRUE/FALSE value. For purpose of this explanation, I will just use ROW 1.

If B1 is equal to Y, that will return TRUE. If C1="Z" that will return TRUE.
These two TRUE/FALSE values are added together. Performing math on boolean values will coerce them to 1 for TRUE and 0 for false. So both true would be 1+1 or 2. We are then making another comparison to see if this value is greater than 0. That expression will return TRUE/FALSE. The -- on the outside of this is coercing that final TRUE/FALSE value to 1 or 0.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back