Corporate memory / knowledge management

Jon,
There seems to be a typo in your write-up: you have the lack of shared workbooks in Excel down as a Con... :biggrin:

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Hi Emma

Yes what I have described is probably beyond your requirements. Bringing this back on topic though I think you could possibly use a combination of the modules to achieve an effective KM system. It's worth checking with your MI bunch what package they have available to you.

Wiki sounds like a good starting point!

Also, for smaller enterprises perhaps worth considering DotNetNuke (DNN): www.dotnetnuke.com. It's free!

It's similar in many respects to Sharepoint Collaboration, in that you can build wiki's, forums, document libraries etc. It's a web package and equally easy to learn. I'm using it for a website at the moment and absolutely loving it. ;)

Jon,
There seems to be a typo in your write-up: you have the lack of shared workbooks in Excel down as a Con... :biggrin:

I couldn't agree more! :biggrin:

One other con we have have here is that we cannot create links to other workbooks - they will automatically point to the temp file on the C drive. That doesn't bother me either though, cos I find models linking to models linking to models...etc become a real pain to manage.

That does sound like a pretty big flaw though in a piece of software designed to centralise everything! Must be a way around that.

I think it is specific to our construct. Our Sharepoint Support team tell me that it wouldn't be an issue if we were using 2007, although that doesn't really make much sense to me. It's something on my list of things to resolve.

The KM system I used in my last job also didn't allow worksheet links, which rendered it pretty much useless for the Finance team.

Thanks for the link Jon - will check it out!

EDIT - Eeek! Just followed the link - it's a bit techy! May just stick with talking to my MI guy ;)

Last edited:
Something else that you may find useful -- Sitepoint is great for intranets, and also has a feature called MySite where you can build a team site for a particular section. I've seen one group use it as a place for all of their policies, resource documents, templates, etc.

And with the versioning, you have control over how many versions to keep -- useful for reducing duplication and disk usage.

Denis

Just as a follow up to this I've just been invited to a demo of MS PerformancePoint which I think is being tee'd up as our corporate BI solution. Sounds like it uses SharePoint and SQL Server tech so could be interesting. I know getting it to work with SAP will be for someone (thankfully not me).

Dom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back