Copy hyperlink content (.pdf) to a destination folder

McQuinge

Hi!

I have a sheet with several hyperlinked documents. With using a filter function I can get a list of documents that I want to print out.

So I need a macro to look at each hyperlink and find the filepath and name, copy the file to a destination folder like C:\test\
There is something with FileCopy but I dont know how to built it up in VB.

I have tried earlier to do a direct print of the hyperlink content, searched and started a thread, but I dont get any respons.

Please Help!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi

Here is one way, expects you to select the range of cells that contains the hyperlinks before running it:

Code:
[COLOR="Blue"]Public[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Sub[/COLOR] CopyFile()
    [COLOR="Blue"]Dim[/COLOR] objFSO [COLOR="Blue"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Object[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Dim[/COLOR] objFil [COLOR="Blue"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Object[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Dim[/COLOR] rngCell [COLOR="Blue"]As[/COLOR] Range
    [COLOR="Blue"]Const[/COLOR] strNewDir [COLOR="Blue"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]String[/COLOR] = "C:\"

[COLOR="Blue"]Set[/COLOR] objFSO = [COLOR="Blue"]CreateObject[/COLOR]("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

[COLOR="Blue"]On[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Resume[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Next[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="Blue"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Each[/COLOR] rngCell [COLOR="Blue"]In[/COLOR] Selection
            [COLOR="Blue"]Set[/COLOR] objFil = objFSO.GetFile(rngCell.Hyperlinks(1).Address)
            objFil.Copy strNewDir
        [COLOR="Blue"]Next[/COLOR] rngCell
    [COLOR="Blue"]On[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]GoTo[/COLOR] 0
[COLOR="Blue"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
Thanks for the fast respons!

But I dont get any files to the destination folder.
No errors!

What to do?

Upvote 0
You must make sure you have a reference set to Microsoft Scripting Runtime in your VBA project.

Upvote 0
Okey!

Maybe it's time to say that I don't know how to use VB?
What do you mean by having a reference to Microsoft Scripting Runtime?

Upvote 0
In your VBA window and in the top menu go to Tools=>References

A list of available references will appear (code that integrates other "libraries" to your Excel Project).

Scroll down until you reach Microsoft Scripting Runtime. Tick it and click OK.

Bob's your mother's brother!

Upvote 0
Hi

This is late bound so no need to set the reference.

Are the hyperlinks in your sheet valid? I am assuming that you have used hyperlinks, they are usually blue underlined that open the file when you click on it. Is that the case in your worksheet?

Upvote 0
Yes it is!
I have made a test sheet just to be sure that nothing else is interfering.
I have normal hyperlinks made by right clicking the cell and selecting hyperlink.
I have also tried the hyperlink function.

All my hyperlinks addresses are with only the filename, meaning that they are placed in the same folder as the excel sheet.
Could that be a problem?
A address of a hyperlink would be: TEST1.pdf

Upvote 0
Does this work:

Code:
[COLOR="Blue"]Public[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Sub[/COLOR] CopyFile()
    [COLOR="Blue"]Dim[/COLOR] objFSO [COLOR="Blue"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Object[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Dim[/COLOR] objFil [COLOR="Blue"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Object[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Dim[/COLOR] rngCell [COLOR="Blue"]As[/COLOR] Range
    [COLOR="Blue"]Dim[/COLOR] strOldDir [COLOR="Blue"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]String[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Blue"]Const[/COLOR] strNewDir [COLOR="Blue"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]String[/COLOR] = "C:\"

strOldDir = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\"

[COLOR="Blue"]Set[/COLOR] objFSO = [COLOR="Blue"]CreateObject[/COLOR]("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

[COLOR="Blue"]On[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Resume[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Next[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="Blue"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Each[/COLOR] rngCell [COLOR="Blue"]In[/COLOR] Selection
            [COLOR="Blue"]Set[/COLOR] objFil = objFSO.GetFile(strOldDir & rngCell.Hyperlinks(1).Address)
            objFil.Copy strNewDir
        [COLOR="Blue"]Next[/COLOR] rngCell
    [COLOR="Blue"]On[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Error[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]GoTo[/COLOR] 0
[COLOR="Blue"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
Yes! This was much better.
Now I just mark what hyperlinks I want to copy and they ends in a destination folder.
But It seems like when I mark a range from row 2 to 15, I get the file from each row. some of the rows are hidden because of the filter, but the macro finds them anyway.

Sorry if I have explained something wrong here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IRSHAD07

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back