Converting 5d 6h 3m 55s into seconds

Davej31

Hi All

I know there are some formulas out there that can do this but I am having difficulty in getting a one to convert the above format to seconds.

Any assistance would be appreciated

the format is xxd xxh xxm xxs

Thanks

D

Thanks, though actually it would fail if the days portiion were greater than 99, so unfortunately it needs to be lengthened slightly:

=SUMPRODUCT(0+MID("00"&SUBSTITUTE(A1," "," "),FIND({"d","h","m","s"},"00"&SUBSTITUTE(A1," "," "))-3,3),{86400,3600,60,1})

which will now account for up to 999 days.

It can easily be made to account for more, though that should be sufficient, no?
I saw that, but since the OP didn't say that could be the case, I went with "it won't be the case" figuring the OP would come back if there were that many days possible. Besides, you fix does not work for single digits (no leading zero)... the -3 reaches too far back. For example...

1d 2h 3m 4s

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
I saw that, but since the OP didn't say that could be the case, I went with "it won't be the case" figuring the OP would come back if there were that many days possible. Besides, you fix does not work for single digits (no leading zero)... the -3 reaches too far back. For example...

1d 2h 3m 4s

Actually the editor replaced by "[double-space]" with "[single-space]" for the 3rd argument of the SUBSTITUTE in that version of the formula!!

So I've changed it to include a (rather unnecessary) REPT function!

Regards

Upvote 0

1d 2h 3m 4s
Actually, your formula would have worked if it had not gotten changed by this forum's comment processor... the double spaces got collapsed down to single spaces... here is your formula with the double spaces intact.
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(0+MID("00"&SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","  "),FIND({"d","h","m","s"},"00"&SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","  "))-3,3),{86400,3600,60,1})

Upvote 0
Indeed! Looks like we "crossed" on that last exchange.

And thanks for posting the corrected version.

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmajax

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back