Convert Lotus 123 formula to Excel

tn312c

Can someone tell me how to convert a Lotus 123 formula to what must be implemented or coded in Excel?

The 123 formula is:
@DCOUNT(Sheet1!A1..Sheet1!L2000,"Status",
(MID(STATUS,FIND(B13,STATUS,1),LEN(B13))=B13)#AND#(LEFT(STATUS,LEN(B13))=B13)#AND#(TYPE<>A14))

I've tried using the following with no success:
=DCOUNT(Sheet1!A1:Sheet1!L2000,"Status",
(MID("STATUS",FIND(B13,"STATUS",1),LEN(B13))=B13)=AND(LEFT("STATUS",LEN(B13))=B13)=AND("TYPE"<>A14))

I've looked in Help and as far as I can figure out from the "Advanced Criteria Range" I must specify my criteria outside of the primary formula, namely my above formula is to be coded this way:
=DCOUNTA(Sheet1!A:B,"STATUS",Sheet2!H24:I25)

where H24=STATUS; I24=TYPE; H25=B13 and I25=A14.

But, what I think I've done is specify the following criteria: STATUS=B13 AND TYPE=A14.

I don't know how to incorporate the MID, FIND,LEFT and LEN functions into something similar to "Sheet2!H24:I25", so that my 123 formula will be equivalent in Excel.

Would someone show me the answer?

It is very obvious that I am very new to Excel, even though I've had some expertise in using 123 database functions. I've been finding out that the same thought process used for 123 is not something I can apply with Excel, especially when it comes to database functions.

Hopefully your staff can help me through this initial roadblock. Once I can get the hang of it, I think I should be fine.

Your asssitance will be greatly appreciated...

I missed the $D$2 to $D$1 change when I copied your data to Excel. Sorry! :(

I now have the $D$2 to $D$1 change made, but still getting zero in cell D3.

Where else did I go wrong? Thanks...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
I don't know.

In my sample worksheet formulas are underlined (hyperlinks). Make sure all yours are the same. You can click the hyperlink, click the copy button then paste special text the formula into the same cell in your worksheet.

Upvote 0
In his post above Aladin suggested that the SUMPRODUCT function may be more appropriate. Here is my previous example with the SUMPRODUCT method added:
DCOUNT.xls
ABCD
1TypeStatusDone
2#VALUE!1Type1
3FALSE1Count4
4SumProduct4
5StatusType
6Done1
7AlmostDone1
8ToDo1
9Done2
10AlmostDone2
11ToDo2
12Done3
13AlmostDone3
14ToDo3
15Done1
16AlmostDone1
17ToDo1
Sheet1

In cell D4 the formula is:

=SUMPRODUCT(NOT(ISERROR(FIND($D$1,A6:A17,1)))*(B6:B17=$D$2))

Splitting it up:

FIND($D$1,A6:A17,1)

tries to find "Done" (D1) in the range A6:A17. This function returns the start position if found or #VALUE! if not found. So:

NOT(ISERROR(FIND($D$1,A6:A17,1)))

returns an array containing True if found, False if not. Then:

(B6:B17=$D$2)

returns a True/False array depending on whether each of the cells in the range B16:B17 equals 1 (D2).

Each element in the array is multiplied giving either True or False, coerced to the values 1 or 0 respectively, to give another array, the elements of which are added up to give the result of 4.

See the links in Aladin's post for further examples.

Upvote 0
I had to make a few changes when I copied your data and formulas to Excel and I forgot to change A2 to A1. Sorry! :(

I've now corrected the A2 to A1 in Excel, but the count in cell D3 is still zero.

What else did I not do? Thanks...

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew... I did as you instructed, but I am getting zeros for both the Count and SumProduct.

The differences are that, in both my cells A2 and A3, I have the "little green triangle in the top left corner of the cell box and with "#NAME?" and yours didn't have the triangles. Also, in your A3 you have "FALSE" and mentioned above I have #NAME?".

If so, I have no idea how to correct them as I've entered and copied the formulas exactly from your spreadsheet.

Btw, thank you very much for the detail explanations on the SumProduct formula. I know it will help once I get past why my exact formulas are not giving the same results.

Again, thanks...

Upvote 0
It wasn't on, but it is now. But, the 2 results are still showing zeros and the error triangles still showing.

I noticed that the option must be set each time for a new file. Can I have that option as the default for any Excel files? I think it only remembers for the file being processed.

Andrew do you have any suggestion on how to help me out of my problem? Like, perhaps we can work out an arrangement to call each other? I'll be happy to bear the cost of the phone call, if you are willing. But, I'll understand, if you are not comfortable doing that.

Waiting for your next post. Again thanks...

Upvote 0
You might have to revisit the formulas after changing the Accept labels setting. Just select the cell with the formula and press F2 then Enter.

Or just change the formulas to refer to cell in the first row of the list.

You can create a template which forms the basis for all new workbooks. Choose Help, search for "templates" and see the section "Create a workbook template for new workbooks".

Upvote 0
I did the PF2 and Enter and was unsuccessful with one. The one is the MID formula in cell A2. It still shows the triangle and the message returned is "A value used in the formula is of the wrong data type." I think this error is perhaps causing the 2 results to continue showing zeros.

I cannot find the one with the incorrect data type. The formula is:
=MID(Status,FIND($D$1,Status,1),LEN($D$1))=$D$1

I am wondering what else in the Excel parameters that should be set that are not.
Example, not setting the "Accept labels in formulas." Can u send me a picture of all the settings I should set or not set? Btw, I haven't been able to create a new template, but I am still experimenting - I am sorry to say that Excel's Help is not very clear for novice users.

Again, thanks...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loop98

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back