Convert concatenated text into a formula?

vanclute

Board Regular
I have no clue if this can be done, and maybe it doesn't even need to be done if someone has a better solution to my proble. Here it is...

I'm using Excel with a stock analysis program called Investor RT. IRT will allow me to link via DDE to Excel so I can bring in values from my data provider directly into Excel for manipulation. Nifty! However, the format of the cel MUST be as follows for the DDE link to work:

=rt|symbol!data_column

Now what I want, is to, for example, make it do this:

=rt|$C3!data_column

So that I can fill down and have my formula automatically give me the data I want from my linked application on a ton of cels. However, Excel will not allow me to place a relative reference inside of the DDE formula. So...

1) Does anyone know how to do this?

or

2) I have a pseudo-solution. In another cel, I have:

=CONCATENATE("=rt|",B10,"!la")

where B10 is the cel with my ticker symbol. Now what this give me, is exactly what I want ultimately the formula to be. However the resulting cel of course just sees it as text, and not a formula. Is there any way to force a cel to behave as a formula regardless of what is generating the text?

Hopefully this makes sense... thanks a ton folks!

Jonathan

Have you tried to copy the column/s with these formulas from RT. Then paste special > values only into another column for manipulation with formulas?

Mike

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I never did come up with a solution for this, and it was SOOOO long ago that I didn't even remember this thread!

As I recall though i was looking for a full automated solution, where I could input the initial data (stock tickers if memory srves) and have the DDE link just always work on opening the workbook. The closest solution I could ever find was one that required manually inputting every ticker's formula once the first time, then DDE would "wake up" and work. Not an acceptable solution unfortunately...

Honestly I abandoned that entire project long ago anyway, but it's nice to know that perhaps my efforts from 2002 will prove helpful to someone today! :D

Jonathan

Upvote 0
LOL!

I did notice that the topic was old, I thought somebody would have solved this by now! :eek:

Anyways, the best dirty solution I got was writing a macro that pastes the formula everytime you change the cell(s) that contain the symbols. But I still haven't been able to get a clean formula working.

This seems to be a major flaw in DDE linking. Does anyone want to take up this challange??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RStasicky

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back