Conditional Formatting

shunter6669

Hi all. Im looking for some help with Formulas and conditional formatting. i have 1 work book with 2 sheets. i have information in column a and b of both sheets. i need the formatting to do a few things. the idea of the sheets is for sheet 1 to have information entered into it and sheet 2 is the "database" sheet.

When information is entered into sheet 1 it needs to be checked against sheet 2. the details in sheet 1 and and 2 will not always be in the same cells so it needs to be able to look for the details.

So far i have 2 formulas in conditional formatting working but the 3rd is a problem. The first one "=COUNTIFS('PC numbers'!$A:$A,A1,'PC numbers'!$B:$B,"Enabled")" is is taking the information in sheet 1 column a and finding the matching number in sheet 2 column a. it then looks at column b and if the status is enable it changes to one colour.

The second is "=COUNTIFS('PC numbers'!$A:$A,A1,'PC numbers'!$B:$B,"Deactivated")" and follows the same rules as 1 except changes to a diffrent colour if column b says deactivated.

The last thing i need is for the details entered into sheet 1 to to look at sheet 2 and if details of column b dont match change the colour of colum b on sheet 1. So far i have this "=INDEX(B:B,MATCH('PC numbers'!A1,A:A,0))='PC numbers'!B1" but it only works if the information is in the same cells on both sheets. how can i make this 3rd rule search for the information?

EG below

sheet 1

12345enabled
6789deactivated
123336enabled

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet 2

123336enabled
6789enabled
12345deactived

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
anyone???

Hi, it looks to me like you've got your sheet references mixed up. Is sheet2 called "PC Numbers"?

Does this work any better?

=INDEX('PC numbers'!B:B,MATCH(A1,'PC numbers'!A:A,0))=B1

Upvote 0
Hi,

I don't know why you're using Countifs? Is there more than one instance of the PC number on sheet 2?

Anyway assuming sheet 2 PC numbers are unique then

Conditional formating with the following rules in the order they're listed will do what you want.

It assumes your daya is in A1 on sheet 1. Please adjust as rquired.

It's not good practice to use A:A as a reference because then excel checks the whole column which in Excel 2010 is 1,048,576 cells. You should maybe do a range that will fit your needs, say up to 2,000 rows if thats the max your likely to have.

=VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$15,2,0)="enabled"
=VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$15,2,0)="deactivated"
=VLOOKUP($A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$15,2,0)<>$b1

Good luck

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back