Conditional formatting

MitchS

Lets see how I can explain this...I'm not good with XL formulas at all! I have a XL sheet I use for horse racing. Lots of numerical data on this sheet. I export the data from MS Access onto an XL sheet. A guy helped me with a formula that separates the races so I have a header on top of each race. Once the races are separated with headers on top I then copy and paste into a fresh XL sheet away form the sheet with the seperator code.

Here's what I want to do. I want to automatically highlight the top 3 numerical values in each race on various columns.

Now I know how to get the TOP RANKED highlighted IF the whole XL sheet was just ONE RACE...BUT my XL sheet gets separated into may 10 races AND I also want the top 3 highlighted not just the top one.

IF the sheet was one race and I Just wanted the top ranking I could use this...

"Equal to" =MAX($A$1:$A$200)

That would give me the top ranking on the whole sheet BUT....

The problem is that each sheet is separated in maybe 10 races so there is no EXACT constant with the column numbers as they change slightly with I seperate the races.

My question then is it possible to highlight the top 3 numerical values on a XL sheet where the column numbers are not constant as they change slightly when I separate the races for day to day use. The reason this is, is because there is no constant on the number of horses in each race.

Make sense? Is this possible?

Mitch

Thank you so much for all of your help! It's amazing what this program Excel can do! I wish I knew more about programming, I'd actually love to turn my sheet into more of a program within XL rather that just a spread sheet which I know can be done. The learning curve for me though just might be too steep, not sure.

I'm thinking about something else I'd like to implement and learn about Excel on my sheet that relates to a fair value odds line. I'll start another thread later today since it's a different subject!

Thanks again. This has been wonderful learning more about what Excel can do. I'll start a notebook from this thread.

Thanks again,
Mitch

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBulinski1975

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back