Conditional Formatting - Using "is not blank"

audiate

Board Regular
Apologies if this has already been answered but searching through the posts takes a long time when people aren't descriptive with the subject line...

I want to conditionally format a cell based on the cell next to it being not blank.
I'm sure this should be easy but I couldn't find it in the Help anywhere..

thanks!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Check to see is the length is greater than zero, i.e.
=LEN(C1)>0

Upvote 0
In the conditional format dialog, select 'Formula is' in the drop down, and put use the following formula when formatting cell A1:

=isblank(A1)

Note that you can format ranges, if you are careful to to put reference the active cell in your formula. Thus if you select the range B3:C18 and C18 is the active cell (it is the one cell that is different in your selecion), your formula would be

=isblank(C18)

Upvote 0
It would be:

=NOT(ISBLANK(A1))

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem, except that I also have conditional formatting to color band every other row. Problem is, the formula to recognize the non blank row is not working in the rows that have the color.
All I am trying to do is have the text in one cell change to bold when the other cell has any entry.
Any help?
Thank you!

Upvote 0
I am attempting to format a cell ("Cell B") when another cell ("Cell A") is not blank. Using the =NOT(ISBLANK(*)) function is great.. However, Cell A contains an if-then formula, which determines if the cell is blank or not.

It seems like the ISBLANK function sees the formula, rather than the result of the formula, and returns the appropriate (in this case, undesired) ISBLANK result.

Does anyone know of a way around this? (In other words, a way for the ISBLANK function to choose based on the if-then's result, versus the if-then itself?)

I can provide further information (and an actual spreadsheet) if my explination is unclear.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I simply use an IF statement to make B1 blank (using "") if A1 is blank.

=IF(A1="","",formula to follow if there is a result in A1)

Works for me :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mondo8a

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back