Conditional Formatting help needed

CHlEFS47

Office Version
  1. Prefer Not To Say
Platform
  1. Windows
This is probably something very simple for Excel users more experienced then I am.
I have a table of 'ranges' e.g. 70-75 which refers to square meters. I then have a row where I input something e.g. 71. I'd like it to conditionally be formatted that if it is within that range that it turns green. But I don't want to have an overly complicated way of doing it - can the conditional formatting tool pick up if it is between the range figure selected e.g. 70-75 or 85-90??

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Welcome to the Board!

You can just use the formula option and use Conditional Formatting formula of:
Excel Formula:
=AND(A2>=70,A2<=75)
for a value in cell A2.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. The issue is i want it as a general conditional format that is based on the figures in the cell so 70-75 could be in one cell but in the next one it could be 80-85.

Upvote 0
I don't think your question is quite clear.
Are you saying that you want to Conditional Format it if it is between 70-75 or 80-85 (and have the same Conditional Formatting color, regardless of which one it is in between)?
If so, then you would just use a CF formula of:
Excel Formula:
=OR(AND(A2>=70,A2<=75),AND(A2>=80,A2<=85))

If you wanted different CF colors for each range, then you would make two rules, using the formula structure I gave you in the first reply for each range.

If neither of those are what you are after, please post some examples of what you want.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
I don't think your question is quite clear.
Are you saying that you want to Conditional Format it if it is between 70-75 or 80-85 (and have the same Conditional Formatting color, regardless of which one it is in between)?
If so, then you would just use a CF formula of:
Excel Formula:
=OR(AND(A2>=70,A2<=75),AND(A2>=80,A2<=85))

If you wanted different CF colors for each range, then you would make two rules, using the formula structure I gave you in the first reply for each range.
Sorry no. To give you the scenario, it's a spreadsheet for evaluating houses. There's a drop down with floor area ranges e.g. 70-75, 75-80, 80-85 and so on. Then I enter a figure below it and if it is within that range e.g. 71 square meters is within the 70-75 range selected above it, then it turns green. Sorry! bit of an odd scenario

Upvote 0
Something like this? Formula may need adjusting based on your version of Excel...
Book1
ABC
1Ranges (m2)80
270-753
375-80
480-85
585-90
690-95
795-100
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2C2=MATCH($B$1,LEFT($A$2:$A$7,FIND("-",$A$2:$A$7)-1)*1)
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A2:A7Expression=MATCH($B$1,LEFT($A$2:$A$7,FIND("-",$A$2:$A$7)-1)*1)=ROW(A1)textNO

Upvote 0
A picture says 1000 words! It looks like dreid1011 may have figured out what you are after.
Images can be very helpful (especially since I am a very visual person).

Note: The nature of your data and how you have your range set up will keep you from having a "simple" answer.
You are trying to compare a number to a string ("70-75"). So your formula has to parse the string into usable numbers.
It could be "less" complicated" if your range was not in one cell, but two, with just single numbers in them (i.e. 70 in column A, and 75 in column B).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back