Conditional Formatting based upon format of another cell

JMorrison619

Hello,

Is it possible to format a cell based upon the format of another cell? For instance, if the cell to the left of a target cell is bold, is there a conditional formatting cell that can be used so that the target cell is bold as well?

Thanks,

Jimmy

The original question seems to me a necessary option to solve the problem I have in this example table:
table_formating
I don't want to depend on the B column just to dynamically format the table. In other words, to conditional copy the format of the cell above in the A column seems like a useful tool to avoid using 1 and -1 in the B column. I don't have any other way to do it other than hiding the B column, I hope you could share something more elegant than this (without macros). Note: the OFFSET formula is used to avoid problems when removing and/or inserting new rows in the table, here is the code if you want to copy/paste it for your tests:
Code:
B COLUMN FORMULA: =IF($A2=OFFSET($A2,-1,0),OFFSET($B2,-1,0),OFFSET($B2,-1,0)*-1)  TABLE CONDITIONAL FORMULA "PAINT CELL LIGHTBLUE": =$B2=-1  TABLE CONDITIONAL FORMULA "REMOVE TOP BORDER": =$A2=OFFSET($A2,-1,0)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
in 2013, here is a conversation snippet:
You can put all the conditions onto A4, by using names.

For example, if (A1 is red when Sheet1!$T$1 =5) and (A2 is red when Sheet2!$T$2 < 10) and (A3 is red when 100 < Sheet3!$T$3)
You could define three named formulas
Name: A1Condition RefersTo: =(Sheet1!$T$1 =5)
Name: A2Condition RefersTo: =(Sheet2!$T$2 < 10)
Name: A3Condition RefersTo: =(100 < Sheet3!$T$3)

Then you could use =OR(A1Condition, A2Condition, A3Condition) as a CF formula for A4.

==========================================================================

I would like to use conditional formatting to recognize conditional formatting within another cell (the cell shading), and above Mikerickson explains that it's possible to name a formula. I would like to know how to name a formula (where to do that), and then afterwards, I will be able to follow what is stated in the last sentence, above ( the part about "OR(A1Condition, A2Condition, A3Condition) as a CF formula")

Upvote 0
Not directly, but if the other cell's fomatting is set by Conditional Formatting, you could test that condition to set the cell color.

Formatting, applied by either the user or by CF, is not data and Excel won't read it.
What of if I applied a conditional format in $E7 to highlight all cells in column E, less than 50, red. Which is working perfectly. I also want to format a another cell above or on top of E7 to indicate that there's a cell that meet my first condition. How do I do it?

Upvote 0
Conditional formatting in E7 only effects E7.
If you had conditional formatting on every cell of E:E with the formula =($E$7<50) that would make the entry in E7 effect the CF of all of E:E.
To test if E7<50, the formula is =($E$7<50). To test if any cell in E:E is <50, the formula is =(COUNTIF(E:E,"<50")) Those formulas could be put in any cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Auroraaa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back