Conditional formatting based on meeting multiple criteria

jlofthouse

I am trying to do conditional formatting based on multiple criteria with some success, but cannot figure the whole thing out.

So far I've entered and been successful with the first 2 criteria using the following, but cannot get the 3rd criteria to work.
Criteria 1: =ISBLANK($F$2)
Criteria 2: =NOT(ISBLANK($F$2))

I also know that more than 3 criteria has to be done through VBA, but since I can't even get a 3rd basic criteria to work so I'm stuck. Most of what I've learned in Excel is self taught through trial and error so any help on figuring out the 3rd criteria as well as help on the more complicated VBA approach would be REALLY appreciated. I've searched the forums and have gotten lost amidst all the great advice on this board.

Here goes....

I have 5 columns (column E thru I) with the following headers: not programmed (E); programmed (F); notified (G); form sent (H); form returned (I). I want the whole row's writing to change color for certain instances and/or to also highlight if it meets other criteria.

1. if neither column E or F of a given row are populated (by an x"), I want row's writing to be Gray
  2. if column F is populated, I want the writing for the entire row to change from grey to Black
  3. If column G (in addition to column F) are populated, I want the writing for the entire row to change to Red
  4. If column H is also populated (along with F & G), I want the whole row to "highlight yellow"
  5. If column I of is also populated (along with F, G & H), then I want the whole row to "highlight green (with black writing)"
Thanks ever so much in advance to anyone who can help me out,

Julie

Hi Lenze,
Thank you very much for your help - and you are right, I probably should have started a new thread.
I am very sorry Julie for hijacking your post!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian Denney

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back