Computer Won't Shut Down

Norie, wow...can't recognize the DVD drive!? Hmm, regarding doing a system restore might be difficult since you don't have the DVD drive to back up your files.

FYI, I did a system restore and it did nothing. I also formatted it and installed only Vista and it did nothing.

Another FYI, the system restore takes about 4 hours.

Smitty,
Thanks for the tip! ;) I think I'm going to have to wait until HP or MS come out with a fix.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Todd

I don't actually need any discs to do the restore, but I will lose all the files I created.

The restore puts the machine back in the state it came from the factory.

Pretty drastic, but it might be my only option.:)

Todd

It's not a Windows System Restore I'm talking about, if that's what you mean.l

On startup if you hit F8 or F10 you can access various other restore options and other tools.

Can't quite recall what they are exactly - I'm trying to avoid going down that route.

At the moment not being able to access the DVD is only a minor irritant but obviously I need to get it sorted.:)

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Oh do I feel stupid now, one the cables had become disconnected.

Probably happened when I opened the machine to transfer the data from the old hard drive.

Not much room for manœuvre in these modern machines.:)

Well, hey, that's good! And I must admit, I'm a little jealous.

Also, no, I was talking about restoring the machine back to factory settings, not a Windows restore. I set it back to factory settings and it still won't shut down. I even loaded just Windows, and still won't shut down...so I figure it can't be software, unless of course it's Windows itself that is causing the issue. But, I think it's hardware.

It took me a LONG time to find out that you had to hold the power button in for a few seconds.

But, Yeah, a tool bar button that said "Off" and meant what it said would be nice.

You know, another thing that bugs me about this HP computer (HP Pavillion TX1000z) is that, for instance, in MS Encarta, any indexed selections I choose the computer makes a beep. I've turned off sounds in Encarta, and still it beeps. I've looked in BIOS but could not find a choice to turn off beeps. I did find an option to turn off computer beeps in advanced sound settings, but guess what, it did not turn off the beeps.

This is the biggest piece of crap I've ever purchased. Well actually, one thing I should mention is that after my previous issues, HP sent me the computer I use now with a ton of upgrades AND they refunded my money. I'm not sure if that was a mistake or not, but I'm not going to question it since the upgraded computer they sent is, as I mentioned, a piece of crap.

Being that the computer is my lively hood, I could care less that they refunded my money. I need a computer that I can rely on, and since I spend a lot of time on the computer, one that I can enjoy. I certainly do not enjoy this machine. It beeps, farts, and spits at me all day long, as if taunting and certainly tormenting.

I think I'll get a Dell, dude.

I've used Dells in corporate environments and they seem to behave pretty well. Any chance that you've got a local white box guy you can try? I've only ever sourced PCs from local builders. I also got stellar turnaround when I did have a hardware issue; got it back, working perfectly, inside 2 hours.
The PC is my livelihood too, so turnaround time and reliability is way more important than price / label.

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lugen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back