ExcelChampion

I have a HP Pavillion TX1000z with:

Vista Home Premium 32-bit
2 Gig RAM
2.0 gHz dual Core
200 gig HD
AuthenTec 1610 fingerprint reader
Webcam

The thing won't shut down all the way. It goes through the process, turns off the HD and screen but all of the LEDs stay lit and I have to hold down the power buttun to turn it all the way off.

I've re-installed everything, clean version of Windows, etc. i think it's hardware related but no idea what. As far as I know I have all of the updates.

I found other simlar issues where wireless devices were causing the issues, but that is not the case with me.

I can't find any info on this and its driving me nuts.

Forgot to mention same thing happens when going into Hibernate mode.

Anyone ANY ideas?

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Have you checked the power settings? For instance, on my laptop I have it set up so that when I simply press the power button it goes into hibernate--I have to hold the button down to actually turn it *off*. I don't have the issue with the lights staying on, however.

You don't mention what version of Windows, but on XP it's called Power Options in the Control Panel.

Edit: Ah, *now* I see it--Vista. I don't have that, so not sure where it would be otherwise (or if it even is *in* Vista)...

Is this the same **** HP you've had so many problems with?

Smitty

Is this the same **** HP you've had so many problems with?

I was gonna suggest you give Customer Services a call but it might take you a couple of months to get an answer and in the end they'll send you a new one which will arrive in the box......turned off :lol:

Yep, Smitty, same **** HP computer. They did replace the one I had...even sent me an upgraded one. Problem is, it won't shut down.

And when I say it won't shut down, I mean I go to the Start menu, click on Shut Down. The desktop unloads and the screen goes black, the harddrive parks, but then everythig else stays on and I have to then hold down the darn power button to turn it all the way off.

As for Hibernate/sleep, same thing...and I can't resume...I have to hold down the power button, etc, etc...

Why don't I call HP about this you may ask? Anyone that has seen my other post regarding HP knows why...it's basically pointless.

I'll ask my IT guy what he thinks...I'd say pull the plug, or turn of the surge supressor. Sometimes I have to do that when my Dell laptop has a brain fart.

Smitty

Oh, I've tried it all. I've uninstalled software, drivers, reinstalled Vista, etc, etc. I think it's a hardware issue...incompatible with Vista or soemthing of the sort.

It's just freakin' annoying that a brand new machine has a bug like this.

And, I don't know who to blame...HP or Microsoft.

Todd

Blame them both.:)

I also recently purchased an HP machine, actually badged as a Compaq Presario.

It also has Vista as the OS and I've had no end of troubles.

The latest problem, well major one, is that somehow Vista doesn't recognise my DVD drive and is telling me the device has been removed.

I checked out the HP support and tried there suggestions - nothing. :twisted:

The only thing I've not tried is a factory restore, but I'm loathe to do that since I've got a whole load of files from the old machine on the new one - and I tell you achieving that wasn't easy. :roll:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lugen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back