Combining Xlookup with IF and Conditional formatting

Walkon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
My sheet contains two lists:

• Short List: A list of 100+ person names. The list is sorted in alphabetical order by last name and is (currently) located in Column J
  • Long List: A list of the same names, each name appearing on the list five times, each time associated with a different organization. There are 60+ organizations. Each organization is a possible assignment for that person. Each person has identified five organizations they are interested in being assigned to. The list is sorted alphabetically by organization name and is (currently) located in Columns A and B
Short List:
J
Name

Mehrnaz Azziz
Terry Bush
Kyle Calso
Amanda Cunningham
John Doe

Long List:
A B
Name Organization

Amanda Cunningham Academy of Arts
John Doe Academy of Arts
Terry Bush Academy of Arts
Kyle Calso Allan Mackie House
Mehrnaz Azziz Allan Mackie House
Amanda Cunningham Allan Mackie House
Terry Bush Allan Mackie House
Mehrnaz Azziz Braintrust Educare

My task is to assign a single organization to each name. After each name is assigned an organization, a separate formula places an “x” in column K.

Short List
J K
Name Assigned

Mehrnaz Azziz
Terry Bush x
Kyle Calso
Amanda Cunningham x
John Doe

As there are more Names than Organizations, there are several names listed for each Organization.

To reduce clutter and confusion, after each person’s assignment has been made, I would like to use Conditional Formatting to Strikethrough every instance of that name on the Long List. Since each name is only assigned once, after they are assigned, there is no reason for their names to remain on the list. It doesn't matter which organization they are assigned to, simply that they are assigned.

A B
Name Organization

Amanda Cunningham Academy of Arts
John Doe Academy of Arts
Terry Bush Academy of Arts
Kyle Calso Allan Mackie House
Mehrnaz Azziz Allan Mackie House
Amanda Cunningham Allan Mackie House
Terry Bush Allan Mackie House
Mehrnaz Azziz Braintrust Educare

My idea is to use the IF function to determine if there is an “x” in column K beside a name in column J and if there is, to use Xlookup to find each instance of that name in column A and use Conditional Formatting to place the Strikethrough format on each instance.

I have been unable to create a formula(s) to accomplish this and am not even sure if it is possible. I look forward to the knowledge and ideas of others.

You would not have actually typed that value. It would relate to what you had selected and what the active cell was when you entered the CF rule and/or how you entered the CF for a cell or range of cells and then perhaps copied the format to a different or larger range.

In any case, it doesn't really matter so long as you have it sorted now. :)
That sounds likely. Thank-you.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday season
Best,

Rob

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back