Circumferemce Of Planet Earth . .

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
the earth is about 21km shorter than it is wide, so multiply by pi gives somewhere near 65km difference in polar circumference over equatorial circumference.

MrKowz - now you tell me not to look at the sun directly - if you'd informed me of this little tid bit earlier I may still have functioning retnas :)

Also, is it the spinning of the earth that creates the buldges on the sides or are the buldges created by the moon's gravitational force?

the moon does not orbit the earth equatorially, so it is not responsible the ovoid deformation on the earth. it is the rotation which causes this. moon causes tides, though, and also the earth as it orbits the sun exhibits 'nutation' which is tiny wobbling in the mathematically predicted orbit due to the gravitational pulling of the moon.

In any event, the spheroid shape of the Earth is negligible for most applications of the distance between two geographic points. It only becomes relevant when you are measuring large distances.

Most of my point-to-point measurements are less that 150 miles, so I don't think that the egg-shaped Earth issue is relevant.

P.S. If the sky is spheroid, then you support my idea that the moon landing was faked. The moon and stars would then have to be a two dimensional images overlaid on a black background (which of course, blocks out our view of Lands of The Gods.) Or are the moon and stars just DARK SUCKERS????? Oh, I am so losing sleep tonight...:laugh:

If you would open a drawer very slowly you will notice that the light goes into the drawer (this you can see happen). You cannot see the dark leave the drawer. Continue to open the drawer and light will continue to enter the drawer; however, you will not see any dark leave the drawer. Therefore, dark is faster than light.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

yes, dark is very fast, it's about the same speed as Schrödinger's cat

Thanks for the explanation Diddi, well done. If it is true that the moon is escaping earth's orbit at roughly 1 inch per year, and I have no reason to doubt this position, and it is also true that the moon's gravitational force is what stabilized the earth on it's 24 degree tilt and controls the speed of earth's rotation so that a day is 24 hours, then at what point will the moon be far enough from earth so that earth's tilt will become unpredictable and the length of each day will increase? Which is more likely to occur first, the complete escape of the moon from earth's orbit or the exhaustion of the sun's energy source? I am only asking so I can plan ahead!

Thanks for the explanation Diddi, well done. If it is true that the moon is escaping earth's orbit at roughly 1 inch per year, and I have no reason to doubt this position, and it is also true that the moon's gravitational force is what stabilized the earth on it's 24 degree tilt and controls the speed of earth's rotation so that a day is 24 hours, then at what point will the moon be far enough from earth so that earth's tilt will become unpredictable and the length of each day will increase? Which is more likely to occur first, the complete escape of the moon from earth's orbit or the exhaustion of the sun's energy source? I am only asking so I can plan ahead!

I don't think you have anything to worry about for the next 2.3 billion years or so. :laugh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadethejade

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back