Circumferemce Of Planet Earth . .

Evagrius Ponticus

Hello Friends,

I've been trying for some time to completely understand how Eratosthenes was able to successfully measure the circumference of Planet Earth. I've read his method several times but a complete understanding remains a tad beyond my reach.

In the simplest terms, can anyone explain how he was able to determine what portion of a circle a segement of planet earth represents? Thank You!

http://www.juliantrubin.com/bigten/eratosthenes.html

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Let's see...

Sun is directly overhead the Tropic of Cancer (Capricorn in Southern Hemisphere) at local noon on the summer solstice.
That makes the sun's rays go straight through the centre of the Earth, assuming it's a circle.
Next is to measure the angle of the sun where you are, at local noon on the solstice. Subtract from 90, and you get how many degrees you are away from the Tropic. The reason for that is that where parallel lines are cut by another straight line, the angle between the parallel and intersecting lines is the same. At the Tropic, it's 90 degrees. Where you are, it should be 90 degrees less the angle at the centre (of the earth).
Eratosthenes got 7 degrees when he made the measurement. He then calculated the distance between Syene and Alexandria and multiplied it by 360/7 to get the answer.
Does that help?

Denis

Let's see...

Sun is directly overhead the Tropic of Cancer (Capricorn in Southern Hemisphere) at local noon on the summer solstice.
That makes the sun's rays go straight through the centre of the Earth, assuming it's a circle.
Next is to measure the angle of the sun where you are, at local noon on the solstice. Subtract from 90, and you get how many degrees you are away from the Tropic. The reason for that is that where parallel lines are cut by another straight line, the angle between the parallel and intersecting lines is the same. At the Tropic, it's 90 degrees. Where you are, it should be 90 degrees less the angle at the centre (of the earth).
Eratosthenes got 7 degrees when he made the measurement. He then calculated the distance between Syene and Alexandria and multiplied it by 360/7 to get the answer.
Does that help?

Denis

Did you write that off the top of your head!? Very impressive!

Thanks Sydney - It does help - I will continue to work my way through it. Measuring the angle of the sun is my next challenge :)

Thanks Sydney - It does help - I will continue to work my way through it. Measuring the angle of the sun is my next challenge :)

Don't look directly at it... might sting a bit :cool:

I think what you could do is put something with point perfectly vertical on a perfectly level surface. Measure the distance from the base of the apparatus to the top. Then look at the shadow. Measure the distance from the center of the base to the tip of the shadow. You can then use TAN to find the angle.

Depending on how precise you want to get, you could use a protractor (or something similar) with a tube taped to it's flat side and a plumb line to measure the the sun's angle. When the tube is casting a circular shadow, then you have the correct angle.

That's how we did it in grammar school, once upon a long time ago...

Or borrow someone's sextant--eveyone has one, right?:stickouttounge:

Eh, is the Earth a circle?

Isn't it some sort of ovoid, or geoid, or oddoid?:)

It is. The spinning of the earth causes it to bulge out slightly at the equator due to centrilital force (think about a ball of dough and spinning it). However, for all intensive purposes, we can consider it a sphere. :biggrin:

'intensive' purposes?:)

no no no, only the sky is spheroid, the earth itself is flat, look out of the windows guys.

Whilst on the subject, gravity is a myth, the earth sucks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saviour198

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back