Capture Dates

cja65

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have a spreadsheet of projects that I am trying to record and save the dates each phase is completed. I want to use Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) so it would update automatically but I can't figure out the code. The data is in a table with column S being the stage (1 through 8) and columns T through AA being the columns I want to store the dates each stage is completed. The table has projects added as needed so the code has to be able to self expand as the columns are added. If for example the stage of project 06 is changed from 2 to 3, then cell V7 will capture todays date - now(). If the same project stage is changed from stage 2 directly to stage 7 then the only cell that will capture the date is cell Z7, cells W7 to Y7 will remain empty. I appreciate any insight. Thanks.

1726078347591.png

The code won't put in the date. Looks like what I can find on line is that the worksheet CHANGE sub doesn't work on cells where there is a formula or a data validation. That being said, neither referring to column E or adding the =left(e4,1)+0 will do the trick. I am still working on it but am a novice to say the least. Thanks for all of your help BTW
You tried the updated code in post #8? I tested it on data validation in column E and it does in fact trigger the code when a value is selected from the drop down.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
How is column E being updated?
Is that also a formula? If so, what is that formula?
If column E is being manually updated (even if from a drop-down validation select box), the amended code dreid1011 should fire and work (as long as you also made the updates to the formula I mentioned).

Upvote 0
Column E is a Data Validation pull down list
1726165538084.png

The current code is:
1726165936609.png

I added your code to make the cell a number =left(E4,1)+0 However the little green arrow still is in the corner.

My project managers update the table by changing the status via drop the drop down list in column E. I am trying to capture the date they change the status so I can track durations for different stages of projects..

Upvote 0
View attachment 116781

The current code is:
View attachment 116783
I added your code to make the cell a number =left(E4,1)+0 However the little green arrow still is in the corner.

My project managers update the table by changing the status via drop the drop down list in column E. I am trying to capture the date they change the status so I can track durations for different stages of projects..
with the code as is, i can't even hard type a number in column S and have the date be posted.

Upvote 0
Sorry, try this update:

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then
    Exit Sub
Else
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E2:E" & Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)) Is Nothing And Left(Target,1)+0 > 0 And Left(Target,1)+0 < 9 Then
        Target.Offset(0, Left(Target.Value,1) + 14) = Date
    End If
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
View attachment 116781

The current code is:
View attachment 116783

given that column E is not just a number i.e. "1 - Prospect", with the Target >0 and Target <9 even return a true or false? This is why we have the left(E4,1)

I haven't written code since 1987 so sorry for the trouble.

Upvote 0
given that column E is not just a number i.e. "1 - Prospect", with the Target >0 and Target <9 even return a true or false? This is why we have the left(E4,1)

I haven't written code since 1987 so sorry for the trouble.
Sorry, see my edits to code in post #15. I was being dumb and not taking into account column E contained more than the number.

Upvote 0
Solution
Sorry, try this update:

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then
    Exit Sub
Else
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E2:E" & Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)) Is Nothing And Left(Target,1)+0 > 0 And Left(Target,1)+0 < 9 Then
        Target.Offset(0, Left(Target.Value,1) + 14) = Date
    End If
End If
End Sub
It still won't change the value.
1726167599065.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back