Capture Dates

cja65

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have a spreadsheet of projects that I am trying to record and save the dates each phase is completed. I want to use Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) so it would update automatically but I can't figure out the code. The data is in a table with column S being the stage (1 through 8) and columns T through AA being the columns I want to store the dates each stage is completed. The table has projects added as needed so the code has to be able to self expand as the columns are added. If for example the stage of project 06 is changed from 2 to 3, then cell V7 will capture todays date - now(). If the same project stage is changed from stage 2 directly to stage 7 then the only cell that will capture the date is cell Z7, cells W7 to Y7 will remain empty. I appreciate any insight. Thanks.

1726078347591.png

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
See if this does what you want:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("S2:S30")) Is Nothing And Target > 0 And Target < 9 Then
    Target.Offset(0, Target.Value) = Date
End If
End Sub

Col S entries limited to 1-8.

Upvote 0
dreid1011, thanks. This sets the appropriate column as I needed. Since this table changes in size, is there a way to set the range to be dynamic? currently the table has 77 projects (rows 2 through 78) I have a separate data input sheet that adds a row to this table with the new job when needed. I would like this code to automatically expand the range to include any added (or deleted) columns.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Just set it to some row you will never hit, i.e.
change
VBA Code:
Range("S2:S30")
to something like:
VBA Code:
Range("S2:S1000")

And if you might have more than 9 columns, just change this part:
VBA Code:
Target < 9
to the maximum number of date columns you will have.

Upvote 0
dreid1011, thanks. This sets the appropriate column as I needed. Since this table changes in size, is there a way to set the range to be dynamic? currently the table has 77 projects (rows 2 through 78) I have a separate data input sheet that adds a row to this table with the new job when needed. I would like this code to automatically expand the range to include any added (or deleted) columns.

Thanks again!
You can change the range as Joe mentioned, or if you really need it dynamic, try this:
VBA Code:
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("S2:S" & Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)) Is Nothing And Target > 0 And Target < 9 Then
    Target.Offset(0, Target.Value) = Date
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks. I already set it to 2500.

It does have another problem. The stage is actually calculated using the formula

=VALUE(LEFT(E4,1))

The code doesn't work given that column S is a formula and not a hard number?

If I drag the formula up from cell S5 into S4 it will add the date to X4, but if I just change the Stage in column E4 it doesn't. Column E4 is a list of the 8 stages in a pull down data validation list.

1726088873984.png

Upvote 0
Thanks. I already set it to 2500.

It does have another problem. The stage is actually calculated using the formula

=VALUE(LEFT(E4,1))

If I drag the formula up from cell S5 into S4 it will add the date to X4, but if I just change the Stage in column E4 it doesn't. Column E4 is a list of the 8 stages in a pull down data validation list.

View attachment 116734
Okay, well that changes things and would be an important thing to note in the original request. Try this:

VBA Code:
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E2:E" & Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)) Is Nothing And Target > 0 And Target < 9 Then
    Target.Offset(0, Target.Value + 14) = Date
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
And this update to prevent erroring if you select more than one cell anywhere on the sheet to delete anything:
VBA Code:
If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then
    Exit Sub
Else
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("E2:E" & Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)) Is Nothing And Target > 0 And Target < 9 Then
        Target.Offset(0, Target.Value + 14) = Date
    End If
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
=VALUE(LEFT(E4,1))

The issue is that formula returns a TEXT value, not a numeric one, as is evidenced by the little green triangle showing up in the upper right corner of every cell in column S.
You can easily update that formula to make it return a valid numeric value like this:
Excel Formula:
=LEFT(E4,1)+0

Upvote 0
The code won't put in the date. Looks like what I can find on line is that the worksheet CHANGE sub doesn't work on cells where there is a formula or a data validation. That being said, neither referring to column E or adding the =left(e4,1)+0 will do the trick. I am still working on it but am a novice to say the least. Thanks for all of your help BTW

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back