Can't open a new xlsx file with Excel 2007

madkiwi

I occasionally get Excel files from other people that cannot be opened with my version of Excel (2007).

I do not get any error message, it just opens up Excel and I have a blank workspace. There is no minimized worksheet or anything. If I have another workbook open I can see the named workbook when I hover over the tab on the taskbar but while the others are fine the one I am having problems with can't be seen.

Tried renaming from xlsx to xls using command prompt and just editing it in explorer, then I get a message about being a different format and whether I trust it, I say go ahead and it is still not able to be seen.

I have the Office 2007 Service Pack 3 installed. I did a MS Office repair and no change.

Anyone know what might be the problem?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
From my recollection, it may be that the workbook is 'visible', just positioned somewhere off screen based on where it was last saved. You might try Ctrl+f10 to maximise the workbook next time as that should force it into the visible application window.

Upvote 0
Solution
That was it. Now makes me want to go try all the other files I have had similar issues with!

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Glad we could help. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back