cannot update '(expression)'; field not updateable

oliviar

Board Regular
Hi guys,
This has me stumped. I can't use an update query I made from a linked table, to a normal access table.

It brings up this error.

BUT, if I copy the linked table into access, then it will work.

Whats going on?

:confused:

I actually meant a lot of 4 cents.

From what I can gather the original settlement was for $6.5 million and could have grown to $65 million.

What, to me anyway, is dumb is that apparently they didn't just try and recreate the functionality themselves.

They must have a few people that could be spared to do that.:)

PS I hope that didn't sound like a rant.:)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
No, I agree entirely.
but, even if they said, from now on, the price of Access is increased by $1 to cover a patent license, most people would be all 'whatever'.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,
This has me stumped. I can't use an update query I made from a linked table, to a normal access table.

It brings up this error.

BUT, if I copy the linked table into access, then it will work.

Whats going on?

:confused:
The updated cells can't contain formula(s). If they doesn't UPDATE Query is working (in my case).

Upvote 0
The updated cells can't contain formula(s). If they doesn't UPDATE Query is working (in my case).

Hello,
I know this is an old Post.
But is there a way to see that the record or field contains formula. Because I only get the value that is in this record when I get the recordset. And after I want to update then I get the error and then it is too late.

Upvote 0
Not without access to the workbook. I really can't imagine any scenario where you would be doing this - if your spreadsheet *might* have formulas that you cannot overwrite, then just don't use updates from Access directly to those cells.

Upvote 0
xenou Thank you for your reply.

I'm dynamically creating sql's in run-time so in design-time I'm still don't know what cells in Excel will contain formula.
You are right, while in excel I can inspect the cell if it begins with "=" then it contains the formula, but can't find a way to do it outside of Excel within recordset returned. But I belive that there is a way (eternal optimist :))
The scenario is a part of the new Usercontrol that I'm creating for Excel. You can see the progress on this link (and maybe join us) Virtual Forms | Simple but powerful Excel UserForms - UserControl for Microsoft Office products

Davor

Upvote 0
I'm dynamically creating sql's in run-time so in design-time I'm still don't know what cells in Excel will contain formula.
then why in the world are you updating it ?

seriously, why would you update a spreadsheet or table if you don't know the column contents ?

Upvote 0
then why in the world are you updating it ?

seriously, why would you update a spreadsheet or table if you don't know the column contents ?

Give me some time and I will record a youtube video to show you what I'm trying to do, if it is allowed to put youtube video.

Upvote 0
I'm creating a new Usercontrol for MS Excel called Virtual Forms for Excel.
It can use Excel Workbooks, MSSQL, MYSQL and Access databases as a datasource.
It is still in Beta, but you can see the progress here: Virtual Forms | Simple but powerful Excel UserForms - UserControl for Microsoft Office products
If I use the Excel Workbook as the datasource i face this challenge that we have spoke about in previous posts (Cannot update '(expression)' field not updateable)

Here is the video I recorded so that you can see what it is all about

<< unavailable video removed >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Can you post an example of what is happening - to show what goes wrong here. I'm not sure I understand exactly your problem (although I still don't think it's possible to determine from information in a recordset anything about whether or not there are formulas in the original cells).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuanMark10

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back